Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee for Rhododendrons?

Posted by gardengopi (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 9:52

Dear all,

I heard that coffee grounds and left over coffee itself are good fertilisers for rhododendrons.

Has any one tried using coffee in this way? If so and successfully, how much would you recommend?

I have slightly alkaline soil and have been using a generic acid plant fertiliser.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee for Rhododendrons?

One word of caution. Rhododendrons don't need much fertilizer but do need acid soil. So don't apply a lot of fertilizer just to make the soil acidic. Powdered sulfur will make the soil acidic and not add a lot of fertilizer. My website below has a section on acidifying soil with sulfur under "Soil pH."

Vicki Molina in Portland, Oregon, reported after using coffee grinds from Starbucks Coffee House for about 18 months that Van Veen Nursery was very satisfied with the results. 1) it helps to aerate their clay soil. 2) slugs don't like to go through. (So you can see they have both mixed in and put on top.) It does help to make the soil more acidic. But it does not replace fertilizer.

They suspect that by making the soil more acidic you are actually helping the uptake of magnesium. This in turn helps iron uptake and that helps to make the plant green. So really you are starting a process not fertilizing. Combine the coffee with horse manure and organic mulch and watch the amount of fertilizer you use decrease dramatically. As for how they apply it, when the plant is dry and just before it rains they sprinkle it on and around. The rain takes it from there. Otherwise they incorporate into the new beds. No exact rate, just cover the top and work it in. (Courtesy of Vicki Molina)

Note: do not cultivate an established bed. Rhododendrons have very shallow roots and cultivating will damage the roots. In stead use a mulch. You should pull the mulch back when applying fertilizer, powdered sulfur, etc, then push the mulch back in place.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 1:20

As with all fertilizing it depends on what the mineral content of your particular soil is before fertilizing is started. Coffee grounds will work for you if they supply something your soil could use and do not also happen to have a detrimental effect in some way.

o

Since coffee grounds mainly affect the acidity and have little nutrient value, there is little chance they will be detrimental unless you live in the part of the Pacific Northwest where the soil is so acidic that they have to apply lime. They seem to be one of those benign organic materials, at least for acid loving plants.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 23:56

For additional observations from a .edu site...

Here is a link that might be useful: Grounds for Gardening

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here