Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimtex3000

Azaleas and Armallaria Fungus

jimtex3000
16 years ago

Armallaria fungus has invaded the root systems of my established azaleas. One by one, they are dying. I have found nothing to control this soil borne invader and this includes most all over the counter remedies. The fungus was diagnosed by my sending a diseased plant to Texas A and M university for identification so I am certain that is what it is.

Does anyone know a cure for this? I have been told Armallaria attacks older plants since their immune systems are weaker.

My azaleas are approximately 35 years old and are the foundation plants for my landscape. Please help, if you can.

Comments (4)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Armillaria is commonly called honey fungus, oak root fungus or shoestring root rot and attacks the roots of a wide variety of plants including azaleas.

It is usually spread by direct contact such as when the roots of an uninfected plant touch the roots of an infected plant or mulch that contains the fungus. In some areas, native trees carry the disease.

The best cure is prevention. This fungus is opportunistic and invades plants that are weakened by drought.

The best control is to make sure the disease is not spread to uncontaminated areas. Remove any diseased material and destroy it. Do everything possible to keep uninfected plants healthy. There is no chemical method of control according to every reference I have found.

If an area is heavily infected, it is often necessary to avoid planting susceptible plants such as azaleas, rhododendron, viburnum, rose, privet, apple and Prunus species. I have never heard of an azalea that is resistant to armillaria.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

If you look into it eventually it boils down to almost nothing being resistant. Large colonies may cover acres, and get into the newspaper as World's Largest Living Thing. Said to be sensitive to dryness, making me think perhaps where I live at least being encouraged by irrigation practices needed to keep rhododendrons, azaleas and other moisture-demanding garden plants happy (July rainfall here in "rainy" Seattle area less than 1").

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

You are right on. When I moved to the east coast, most people here had never heard of or seen irrigation systems except in pictures in science soils classes. If we get a drought, people cry for government disaster aid.

In the west you look for irrigation rights first and then the property. Property without irrigation rights is called prairie land. People didn't ask if it had rained, they asked how good the snow pack was in the mountains so they knew they would have irrigation water.

It seems that many rhododendron nurseries in Oregon prefer misting equipment. Perhaps that is because of the low humidity as well as the dry summers. Our summers are so damp we get dew just about every morning which turns into steam by afternoon.

• ces1
    15 years ago

jimtex3000, I suspect I have had the same problem in my yard over the past two years, except I have lost numerous established antique roses, a large bottlebrush tree, and more. Who did you contact and send your sample to at A&M? Was there a cost involved? I would like to send a sample in as well, just to confirm the problem. Thanks, Carolyn.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County