Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
razorback33

Exbury 'Hotspur Yellow'

razorback33
16 years ago

Has anyone had experience with this one in the SE (Zone 7)?

Found some at a local Nursery, but since it is new to them, they couldn't provide any information regarding it's long term survivability in this area. Exbury's have a history of being intolerant of the heat & humidity in the South.

Dodd Nurseries(Semmes, AL) used it and R. austrinum to hybridize R. x 'Admiral Semmes', which will probably do well in this area.

My only experience with Exbury's has been with 'Gibraltar', which performed well for several years and then suddenly expired. Couldn't determine the cause, but it was in an area with R. austrinum, flammeum, & canescens, Oakleaf Hydrangeas, Edgeworthia, & Magnolia 'Elizabeth', all of which are doing fine.

Any info will be appreciated.

TIA

Rb

Comments (4)

• kwoods
    16 years ago

Hey RB, this is one that I've had for the last four years. It is one of two planted fall of 03. The second perished the first summer because of a long August family vacation and poor siting (too dry) on my part.

Long Island z7 is probably a bit cooler than your zone 7 but it has done well perhaps tripling in size from a gallon size plant. Had a single blossom the first year, I count 30 or so buds right now. I love it. Looks good w/ my calendulaceum and other natives.

• razorback33
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the response, kwoods....
    How would you rate the flower hue? I haven't found any images of it anywhere on the web.
    Guess I will take a chance on a couple of them, since the price isn't terribly expensive, $10/3Gal size.
    Rb

• kwoods
    16 years ago

"How would you rate the flower hue? "

It's beautiful. I love mine and recommend them. Mine are a bit more orange than yellow with a very slightly darker orange throat. Kind of a pantone 122 if you have a color guide. I disremember when exactly they bloom but I'll take a picture and post it here for you. Hopefully you will have your own blossoming by then. That does seem like a good price... I think I paid the same for 1 gal.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I Googled 'Hotspur Yellow' and it took me to this forum, where I found that you grow it, kwoods! I hope you check into this forum and see this.
    I've planted lots of native, deciduous azaleas in my woods since we moved here in '97. A few of them didn't bloom, undoubtedly because they were planted in too much shade. Since the hurricane has opened up many of them to sunlight, I'm getting blooms on azaleas/rhododendrons that were planted so long ago I can't remember what type they are. Last year an azalea bloomed for the first time, but it didn't bloom this year - I have no idea why. But another azalea made a bloom very similar if not the same this year. I think they're both 'Hotspur Yellow' - do they look like yours, kwoods?
    Last years -
    {{gwi:384729}}
    And the one that's blooming right now -
    {{gwi:384730}}
    Sherry

Sponsored