Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to root Azaleas

Posted by HimthatGuy Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 11:43

How do i root azaleas i have some "TakeRoot" rooting hormone, And when do Azaleas have seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to root Azaleas

The Azalea Society of America has posts on both topics. Use the link below. Azaleas for seed pods after they finish blooming. Collect the seed pods before they open, and grow the seed under controlled conditions. Collect the seed pods as they begin to turn brown, usually around the time of the first frost in the fall. If you wait too long they split open and drop the seed.

Most azaleas are hybrids. Hybrids do not come true to the parent plants. You may get a better plant, a worse plant, or nothing at all. Hybrids are always propagated vegetatively, usually from cuttings.

Evergreen azalea cuttings are usually easy to root. It doesn't help much to use hormone powder. Rooting hormone works by making the top go dormant so that all the energy of the plant goes into producing roots. You can use it with evergreen azaleas if you want.

Deciduous azaleas are much more difficult to root. The hardest part is keeping them from going dormant and never coming out of dormancy. Using rooting hormone makes this problem worse, so I don't recommend it for deciduous azaleas until you get the hang of it and want to try it. The trick seems to keep deciduous azalea cuttings under lights to prevent them from going dormant.

Read the instructions carefully. Using sterile media, proper timing, using the proper part of the stem, keeping in a moist environment, preventing fungal infections, are all important parts of the technique.

There are nurseries that will root cuttings or grow seed that you send them. These include Van Veen Nursery in Portland, OR and W W Nurseries in Indiana, PA

Here is a link that might be useful: ASA: Propagating Azaleas (cuttings & seed)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here