Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea planting around pine tree

Posted by chinatreasures 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 13:19

I have several pines that I would like to plant azaleas around. How far from the base of the tree should I plant and how far apart should the azaleas be planted?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea planting around pine tree

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 20:13

Mature oaks and many pines are thought of as first choices for under planting with azaleas. They generally are not surface rooted so offer little competition for surface rooted azaleas.

Do a bit of preliminary digging to see if you will be searching for 'planting pockets' - areas that are not too rooty to accommodate your azaleas. Far enough out from the trunks that they are in a combination of filtered sun/shade and not dense shade. You will have to watch your watering to make sure the azaleas do not dry out, especially during the first year after planting....mulch will help.

How far apart depends on which azaleas. The plant tag should tell you approx how tall and wide at maturity...if it reads 3' wide, leave roughly a minimum of three feet between plant crowns when planting for an eventual dense look, more if you plan to move in and out to groom, maintain, weed around them.

o

Thanks so much. Bought these from an individual and there is no tag. They are the Formosa azaleas and I know they get really large. The area I plan to plant has some good morning sun, then dappled sunlight the rest of the day.

o

I'd give the Formosa's plenty of room! They have a mature spread of up to 6 feet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here