Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nova Zembla Identification

Posted by conifer78 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 14:38

I purchased a rhododrendon labeled Nova Zembla last year, it flowered last spring but has now died from root rot. I would like to purchase another which I am going to plant in a raised bed, for better drainage next time. The problem I have is when I look at pictures of Nova Zembla online the flowers are lighter red than mine was. Mine was a dark red with the buds almost black when just opening, can anyone confirm this was a Nova Zembla? Some other rhododrendons I purchased from the same shop were mislabeled. I have added a picture of the flower I took.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nova Zembla Identification

Just added larger picture!

Photobucket

o
RE: Nova Zembla Identification

I think you are seeing the variation in photography. For example the photo of Nova Zembla below:

shows the lousy color you get when you photograph leaves after they have faded due to direct sun while they are in direct sun. But it does show what the leaves should look like. The leaves in your photo definitely look distressed. They have poor color and almost look translucent. I can understand why that plant is no longer alive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here