Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Down to a choice of 4 -- advice please

Posted by hoyess z5 ON Can (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 3, 07 at 20:38

Ok, I've spent days browsing the net for Rhodo pictures and information and think I have picked 4. I would like your thoughts since I am way new to Rhodo's (have one chinoides not doing well I think because it is in too deep a shade).

I want to mass some rhodo's under a Hawthorn grove in my back yard. Since the canopy of the hawthorns is low I'd like to keep to the smaller rhodo's say 3feet in size. I live in Zone 5 (between London and Toronto) and they will be in an exposed country yard although tucked among the trees.

My picks were:

Thunder to be massed with Northern Starburst (2 -3 of one and 3-5 of other) Would these look good together, give enough contract (the colour pics on the net have a huge array of colour). I think in my area both will bloom while the leaves are still burgundy and around the same time as the daffodils are blooming?

A mass of scintillation -- I get the impression this one will have green leaves in my area?

A specimen of Weston's Aglo. It looks so nice & open in an arching way I thought it would look nice alone.

If these would not provide nice contrast what would you suggest as a replacement for any / one of these?

by the way, here is where they will go:

Thanks very much

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Down to a choice of 4 -- advice please

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 7, 07 at 2:57

For a less heavy and monotonous appearance use a small number of rhododendrons balanced by some shrubs with intermediate leaf sizes and a quantity of those with small leaves.

o

Scintillation is not short and not as hardy. It will sunburn if it has too much sun. You probably don't want it.

• Besse Howells: could replace Scintillation. 3'. -20F, dense habit.

You have good plants with the Weston plants.

• Thunder: 3' tall in ten years, dense habit, hardy to -20F, blooms before mid season.

• Northern Starburst: 3' tall in ten years, dense habit, hardy to -25F, blooms early (may get niped with late frost)

• Weston's Aglo: 3' tall in ten years, open habit, hardy to -25F, blooms before mid season.

Aglo has open habit. A plant with dense compact habit is:

• Hudson Bay: a white. 3', -20F, dense habit, blooms before mid season.

Two other good and shorter plants are:

• Purple Gem is only 2' tall in 10 years, has dense habit and are hardy -20F.

• Ramapo is only 2' tall in 10 years, has dense habit and are hardy -25F.

Two great low plants that bloom before midseason.

o

thanks rhodyman I'll look into Besse Howells and see if I can get it in my area. I like the idea of 3' as this is set back at the far back of my property.

bboy I was also planning on adding some fothergilla gardenii, mountain laurel, oregon grape holly and sweetspire in this area. Hopefully this will be a good combination.

Thanks again

Sharon

o

Sharon,
re Aglo, it does have VERY open habit, almost see-thru.
If that is what you want, than is fine.
If not, you may 'improve' it by slightly pruning it (in order to promote branching) at the young (in a first 2-4 years) age. Left to its own, it will look 'empty' in a 10 years, IMO.

I ditto Rhodyman's suggestion of Besse Howells.

o

hmm, I get the idea I better take a close look at Anglo before I buy it. Thanks for the heads up. I'll take a copy of Rhodyman's list with me to the nursery this spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here