Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raam4

Replacing azaleas with...?

raam4
16 years ago

I have about 16 azaleas along the front of my brick home that receive a lot of direct sun from noon until late afternoon. They aren't doing well at all and look like nothing more than leafless, stick bushes. We even replaced some a couple of years ago and they still aren't doing good in that area. My azaleas on the side of the house don't receive much direct sun at all and do great.

We are going to pull up the azaleas across the front, put them elsewhere in our yard where they will hopefully do better, and in their place put something that is more sun and heat resistant. We already have plum delights and Indian hawthorns along the front so any ideas on what we could put in place of the azaleas?

Thanks so much!

Amanda

Comments (3)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Are you wanting something evergreen?

You might want to post this question in the shrubs forum also.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Many azaleas don't do well in full sun. However, some will tolerate it quite well:

Encore azaleas are said to do well in full sun but not Autumn Ruby and Autumn Carnival. Some that are said to do well are:
    Autumn Amethyst, Autumn Angel, Autumn Belle, Autumn Carnation, Autumn Chiffon, Autumn Coral, Autumn Debutante, Autumn Embers, Autumn Empress, Autumn Monarch, Autumn Moonlight, Autumn Princess, Autumn Rouge, Autumn Royalty, Autumn Sangria, Autumn Starlite, Autumn Sundance, Autumn Sunset, Autumn Sweetheart, Autumn Twist

Minitastic: (Indica) Wine purple, single. Shy flowering. Dark wine red foliage. Vigorous growth to 1.2 meters. Can be trained to heights from 15-50cm. Prune lightly as required to maintain shape and foliage color. SUN.

Constellation: (Indica): Bright pink border with soft pink centre. Large single to semi-double, hose-in-hose. Compact bushy growth to 1 meter. SUN.

For a larger plant, consider: Camellia Sasanqua. It is commonly called simply, Sasanqua. The flower of red, white, pink, purple, and peppermint are the same colors, but smaller than the Camellia japonica blooms. The Camellia Sasanqua can grow 16 feet tall and blooms earlier (October to March) than Camellia japonica. The leaves are a glowing waxy green and evergreen with a slight curving habit. The double flowering Sasanqua is stunning when in full bloom. The Sasanqua is a perfect specimen landscape plant that will tolerate full sun, and is most often used in Zone 6-9 as a privacy hedge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Azaleas

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

camellia 'shishi gahsira' could be a good choice for a flowering, evergreen, low-growing shrub. mine is unpruned and about 5' tall after many years with an even greater width. the flowers are a hot pink and are produced in fall through early winter.
    if you have a red brick home, i might look into another
    color. ;-)
    there are other low-growing camellias and an internet search for that will give some results.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor