Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flame Azalea

Posted by opie12 8/MS (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 23:33

I am looking for the Flame Azalea....can't find the around here and can't pay the shipping rates I have seen from nurseries in other places that carry them....does anyone have seeds for it? I saw there was not an exchange page in the Azalea forum, so that is why I am posting this here...hope I have not offended anyone by doing so. My trade list is current and I would be willing to do an uneven trade for some seeds from this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flame Azalea

• Posted by fill2 western NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 23:10

I have one in my yard, just moved here last may, so did not have much time to do anything. This year I plan to take some cuttings and maybe get some seed. Also have one that is yellow. I have pictures, but dont know how to upload them, as i am pretty new on the forum.

o

Are we talking about the Satsuki azalea Flame Creeper?

o

I'm talking about Rhododendron calendulaceum.....I've seen it growing profusely in the Smoky Mountain area and I fell in love with it! From what I've read I should be able to grow it here in MS, I grow other azaleas, and the info that I have found says it is hardy in zone 8

fill2, if you get some of those seeds or cuttings and would like to trade in the fall, let me know

Melissa

o

Here are 2 pictures of the azaleas in my yard. Both are in an area that needed some cleaning up with a lot of shade. Both did not have many blossoms. Have others, but not as exciting as these 2.
Also have a kiwi that is to invasive that I am trying to do away with. It was to the top of a tree....
Have many great things here, grapes, cherry tree, pears, blueberries, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3673425&l=56716cce3d&id=577263865

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3673433&l=ae5e538ec6&id=577263865

o

I have 'Flame azaleas', but mine are R.austrinum

If the poster lives in south MS this one would probably survive better since it's native to that area.

o

I looked those up after I read your post, and they are quite pretty as well. I guess they are just so different from what people typically get from big box stores!

I actually live in central MS, near Vicksburg, so I may also look into trying to find the one you suggested.

o

If I lived in Mississippi I'd go with the Florida az. It is much more heat tolerant. It is a native azalea like the Flame az, but also has fragrance.

Other differences are the florida az blooms alot earlier in the season and the flowers are a little smaller but when it does flower there are no leaves on the plant so its really showy.

o

Mine is young but I can see a few little blooms getting ready to open. I'll try to get a pic in the next day or so.

o
R. austrinum

This pic is a little blurry, but you can see what the flowers look like (it was getting dark). Mine turned out to be yellow, but I have seen some that were more orange. I guess with seed grown plants there is some variation. The flowers do smell great though, similar to honeysuckle.

Photobucket

o

• Posted by kchd 7b Mississippi (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 19:12

Hi folks,
I realize this thread is rather old, but perhaps there is still some interest here. I have seeds of Rhododendron canescens, wild azalea. I collected these this year, and have been impressed with their easy germination. I'm looking for seeds of other species of native azaleas.
Katie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here