Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madpupster

Will controling moss in grass hurt Rhodies?

madpupster
16 years ago

We have acidic soil, which our Rhododendrons and Azaleas love. Thry've been here a long time. I'm not sure how long, but most of them are large (one is huge). So that much is good. However we have a lot of moss growing in our lawn... or maybe it's lawn growing in our moss... Anyway, I went to a nursery and asked about the moss problem and they said that it was growing because the soil was so acidic. They suggested laying down some lime to decrease the acidity of the soil. The moss wouldn't like this and would eventually die, then we could re-seed. He suggested this over spraying with a moss killer. A friend of mine did this in his yard and it worked great.

However I started thinking... will this run off into our flower beds and hurt the rhodies and azaleas? Is there any way to get rid of the moss without affecting the plants?

Comments (7)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

My inclination is to go with the moss. It doesn't need mowing and is much softer. A really great garden in New Jersey has all moss paths meandering between the rhododendron beds and everyone loves it. People travel long distances to visit this garden. Moss likes acidic soil with partial shade just like rhododendrons. I would do almost anything to get rid of my grass for something like moss. I would look for a good grass killer.

• bogey123
    16 years ago

rhodyman - you don't happen to recall the name of this garden in NJ that you refer to do you?

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

It is a private garden at the home of Dr. Bill Zurich in central NJ not far from Rare Find Nursery. He is a member of the American Rhododendron Society and his home is frequently on tours by various chapters and was one of the garden tours of the ARS Convention in 2004. He is accustomed to people being more impressed by his moss covered paths than his gorgeous rhododendron plantings. If you belong to the ARS you may have already visited his garden. If not, your chapter could arrange a visit.

• madpupster
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Funny thing is my neighbor and I were talking about this possibility (I live in a 4-unit condo, so we would all have to agree on it). Our worry is the moss would die when it gets hotter and drier. It's something to think about though. The moss has really taken over this year.

• jean001
    16 years ago

Facts about moss.

You said you were told "they said that it was growing because the soil was so acidic."

Well, that's commonly believed but way off base.

You have moss because of the following combination
    1. shade
    2. moisture
    3. compacted soil

The moss won't damage your rhodies.

Nor will use of an appropriate product to get rid of the moss. But don't obtain it at the place you spoke about -- those folks would likely suggest the wrong thing! (Come to think about it -- they did!)

Or you could consider going with the moss. It's a natural solution, is suited to the site, and is attractive.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

My DH has been battling moss in our lawn for fourteen years. I wish he would just give up and let the moss win. He can't change the shade, it is the neighbor's trees. He doesn't want to kill the lawn and put in drains and new soil and reseed either yet he has spent far more time, money and energy than that would have taken.....I would be fine without lawn at all, I much prefer borders and moss....

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

If you want to "plant moss" just put a chunk of moss in a blender with some buttermilk or yogurt. Then sprinkle this mixture around where you want moss. In case you are wondering, the milk is to provide a moist acidic carrier and the spores in the moss are what will grow. As jean001 said, it works best in a moist shaded area with compacted soil.

Some moss will turn brown during a severe drought, reviving when moisture returns. Some species are known to survive for as long as ten years without water. Most diseases and insects that affect grass do not bother moss, although moss does not like air pollution (it is seldom found along the roadside. No need to improve and lime the soil since mosses grow easily on compact clay soil and most types can be easily encouraged by an acid soil (pH 5.5 is optimum) and by moisture. You can use rhododendron fertilizer or skim milk powder on moss as fertilizer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Create a Moss Garden

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting