Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I guess I can not root encore azaleas ?

Posted by rolacoy 8 East Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 0:35

Two years ago I planted about 50 Encore Azaleas along the back of my garden. last year I planted 15 around the base of two big Oak trees. I had to dig them up because the trees were sucking up all of the food that they needed. They were in pretty bad shape. I put them back in pots until I decide where to replant them. The guy where I bought them told me to cut them back.

I cut them as he told me. Then I thought, why waste the cuttings. I got some small pots, put root tone on the end of the cut stems and planted a couple 100 of them. That has been about a month ago. I have them in my greenhouse and have kept them watered. Most of the cuttings have turned brown, but some are still green. I have not pulled any up to see if there are roots.

I am a very new gardener, any chance of this working ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I guess I can not root encore azaleas ?

Sorry, after posting this I found a posting that had all of the information that I needed. It seems that I did nearly everything wrong, but I may get some plants to root, we will see. I am very new at planting things. I am good at building things and most of time I just get a bigger hammer, that does not seem to work with plants, or my wife. lol

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garden

o

I think Encore azaleas are patented, which means that it is against the law to propagate them asexually.

o

You surly jest. Maybe if I was selling them, but surly not for my own use.

o

Here's some info I grabbed from a forum:

I grew up propagating azaleas & camellias with my dad. Ideally, you need semi-hardwood growth - usually collected in late June/July in central AL. They're easy to do. Just collect those cuttings, strip off all but the top 3 or 4 leaves, dip the basal end in your choice of rooting hormone, and stick in your rooting medium - we had a raised rooting bed in the back yard, in full shade - located between the back of the house and two big cherrybark oaks, a 50/50 mix of clean sand and peatmoss. Watered the cuttings daily.
Left them in the bed over winter, lifted & potted up the next spring.

-------
A Nearing Frame would be ideal whether you live in a colder climate or a warmer climate such as this person does. In a winter-cold climate, you'd keep the cuttings covered such as in this photo:

Nearing frame
*Note - the back side is tall, apprx. 6'+ and faces due south. Excellent planting media's: 3 parts perlite to 1 part peat moss, or, pure sand with/without pea gravel; sand with some peat moss (Azaleas/Conifers/Maples etc- "Acid-loving plants" - will appreciate the acidity the peat moss - naturally, brings).

Good liquid, rooting hormones:
1/10 Dip n' Grow
Woods 1/10 or 1/15 depending on more-difficult to root woody plants. Strip the basal leaves off - no need to wound with a knife - hold in the rooting compound for 15 seconds and then stick them in your media.

Adding mycorrhizae to your media I'm a firm believe in. You can either water it in, or mix it in as a powder into your media(s).

Best of luck,

Dax

o

Dear rolacoy,
I think you would have to peruse patent law to determine its intent or consult a patent attorney.

o

Hate to break it to you, but Jay_7bsc is correct--it's not triggered by an intent to sell, but rather asexual propagation itself--absent a license from the patent holder--is illegal. During the life of the patent, the patent holder excludes all others from the right to asexually reproduce the plant AS WELL AS use, offer for sale or offer any of its parts for sale. You purchased the right to use the plant from the patent holder when you bought the plant, but that's it. If you want to LEGALLY reproduce the plant, you need a license from the patent holder.

That doesn't mean that people don't asexually reproduce patented plants without a license and get away with it; the policing of plant reproduction isn't a hot-button issue for law enforcement, but patent law does apply nonetheless.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here