Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691021

Transplanting Winsome Rhody

User
13 years ago

Today, I dug a bed on the north side of my house, about 3ft away from the foundation. I want to move my Winsome Rhododendron to this spot away from where it currently receives hot afternoon sun and is getting leaf scorch. Would this be a good place to put it?

Comments (8)

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

Leaf scotch can be a couple things. If the edges of the leaves turn brown on the sides of the plant more exposed to the sun and wind, that is from winter wind or winter sun. Fertilizer burn will cause the same symptoms but more uniformly over the entire plant. Never apply lawn fertilizer to a rhododendron.

When the area around the central vein turn yellow or brown on the side facing the sun, that is sun scald or leaf scorch.

Winsome may stop blooming in full shade. Winsome likes sun or partial shade. Apparently your sun is too intense, but further north it grows in full sun. Partial shade would be better than full shade. Leaf scorch or sun scald is caused by two things happening at the same time, the plant is on the dry side and the sun is intense. Sometimes adding a good mulch and watering during periods of dry weather my prevent leaf scotch.

Winsome is considered one of the best rhododendrons for foliage and a good performer. A little shade and/or better soil conditions may be your best alternative.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Rhodyman,
    Thank you for your help. I thought I would post some pics for you to look at, as I seem to be having a bit of a problem with each of my rhododendrons. I have Winsome, Virgina Richards and Jean Montague. Maybe I'm planting them all in the wrong place.

Earlier explained the burn or scorch looking marks on my winsome, I hope it's not diseased. I thank you for your help on this one. This rhody gets morning shady and afternoon sun. Faces west.

Virginia Richards leaves look good to me but she's growing kind of tall and scraggly and I don't quite know what to do. This rhody is planted right next to Winsome and gets morning shade and afternoon sun. (After 1:00 pm)

Jean Marie Montague, looks a bit limpy to me and the buds have a just a bit of brown at the tips this year and some of the leaves aren't green like they should be. I have three of these planted on the northwest side of my house. Receives afternoon sun.

I can really use some help with these and it will be appreciated. I'm not exactly sure when to fertilize? I purchased fertilizer for rhododendrons and all other acid loving plants, but I haven't given any to them yet because I read somewhere to fertilize after blooming. Should I use steer manure or would that be too strong. I always put Starbucks coffee grounds in my soil. I would love to put some pine needles on the soil but have absolutely no idea where to get them. Again, thanks for all your help.

WINSOME

{{gwi:385075}}

{{gwi:385076}}

VIRGINIA RICHARDS

{{gwi:385077}}

{{gwi:385078}}

HONORABLE JEAN MARIE MONTAGUE

{{gwi:385079}}

{{gwi:385080}}

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to ask if I should transplant the rhododendron before or after he blooms? Is spring a good time? Thanks again.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My curiosity got the best of me. I just picked off a flower bud from Winsome and the bud is completely dry. It isn't even green. I looked carefully at the leaves and all the leaves in the back of the rhododendron (next to the fence) are perfectly green (no scorch) Do you think perhaps it could use some protection from the wind? Should I move it to the northeast corner of the house. It would get morning sun and afternoon shade there. Thank you so much for all your help.

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

It looks to me like Winsome broke dormancy during the winter. Normally the plant is plenty hardy for zone 8, but only if it is dormant. Either due to freaky weather, fertilizer forcing tender growth, or whatever, the more exposed flower buds and leaves broke dormancy and then got frozen back. Hence the buds are dead and the leaves are damaged.

Different varieties have different responses. Some break dormancy much easier. These are typically the ones that get fall blooms.

You can transplant any time the ground is not frozen. The optimum time is in the fall. Be sure to water if there is a dry spell after transplanting and mulch well to prevent frost heave.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Rhodyman,
    Maybe I'll have a better year with it next year. Should I remove all the buds or just leave them? Would this plant be okay in the northwest corner of my house? I have a spot there where I could place it. It would receive morning sun and afternoon shade. The last time I fertilized it was right after it bloomed last year.

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

The northeast corner is ideal for avoiding the strong winter sun. The northwest would also work.

It is best to remove the dead or dying buds so they don't get diseased and harm the plant.

Bloom time is the ideal time to fertilize if you do fertilize, but only fertilize at half the rate on the package and only once each spring at most.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rhodyman, thank you for all your help with my Winsome. I will remove the buds. What a shame! Last year Winsome was covered in blooms. Oh well, onward and upward! I'll fertilize half strength with a rhododendron fertilizer at half strength. Thanks again for your help.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville