Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finding large rhododenrons/azaleas

Posted by good4rose 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 0:44

I'm looking for rhodies or azaleas that will grow larger than six feet--more like 10+ is what I have in mind. Most nurseries specify "tall" plants as being about six feet. I used to have a 20 ft rhodie at my previous home. What species do I need to look for? I would prefer white or purple blossoms, but will settle for pink. Can someone tell me how to search for and find what I'm seeking? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finding large rhododenrons/azaleas

The height given for rhododendrons by sellers is the height that could be reasonably expected after 10 years of growth. Given enough time nearly all rhododendrons except those designated as dwarf will exceed 6 feet.

o

You can search for the taller ones on the American Rhododendron Society plant finder pages. Using it you will find the tallest hardy ones after 10 years are:

Caractacus, red, -25F

Lady Eleanor Cathcart, pink, -15F

Spicy Nutmeg, pink, -20F

Here is a link that might be useful: ARS Multi-Parameter Search for Rhododendrons

o

Rhododendron maximum is one of the largest species. Its native to the Appalachian mtns in the southeast and mid-atlantic states. The flowers are usually white.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 12:32

Cynthia gets big and blooms here at the end of May in to June. This one is 35 years old.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron, 'Cynthia'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here