Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azaleas in hot climate

Posted by souradeep1982 India(Calcutta) (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 7:22

Hi,
I'm from subtropics of India. Is it possible to grow Azaleas here? The temperature can reach 35c in summers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azaleas in hot climate

Temperature-wise, that does not seem to be a problem as my summer temperatures are higher than yours and I grow them here. You will need to find a location where they can get shade in the afternoon, especially during the summer months. And you will need to find well draining, acidic, moist soil. Clay soil, for example, makes it difficult for the roots to spread and grow. If one has clay soil, you can grow them in raised beds or in pots/containers. They like evenly moist soil,with lots of acidic mulch; no periods of wet and dry soil so make sure they receive enough moisture during the sometimes drier months of Nov thru March. The American Rhododendron Society has a chapter north of you, in Sikkim.

o

luis_pr thanks for the help. do the plants grow during summer or remain dormant?what mix should I use for containers?what to feed them?

o

During the worst of the summer months, the plants (mostly Encore's & a few Kurumes) skip blooming until the worst of the high temperatures is over. I have not paid attention to see if they still show growth going on; I can speculate that they may just be semi-dormant. Roses also take a break and produce smaller blooms or no blooms.

I feed them Hollytone in Spring and let them feed off the decomposing mulch the rest of the year. Because my soil is alkaline, I amend it in Spring with garden Sulphur.

Check what acidic potting soils are available locally. Or make a mix (there are probably 400 gadzillions recommended ways). Here is a simple one: one half small/medium pine bark mulch and one half peat-based potting mix. Make sure the pot has several holes for water drainage. I add some rocks at the bottom and some people add some wire to prevent critters from burrowing into the pot from below. Pots made of cement may be alkaline so I choose pots of other materials.

o

thanks for your valuable guidance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here