Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea's Dead?

Posted by rparkerfl1 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 2, 08 at 8:38

I have about 25 Azalea's around my property and we had a pretty rough winter. I have some Azalea's that are green and look rather healthy and others that are completely brown and brittle. Brance snap when bent? Should I go on and remove them? are they dead? Will they come back in the spring? Help....thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea's Dead?

They may come back from the roots. Normally plants that die will die in the summer. In the winter they usually die back, but the roots will still be alive. They can come back from the roots one year, but if they die back two years or more in a row, their chances of making it get much smaller.

The die back or death may have been aggravated by previous stress that occurred last summer such as drought, sun/heat damage, poor soil, insect attack, too wet, etc.

If you scrape the branch slightly, there should be a very thin green layer under the bark and outside the wood. If this layer is dead, then that part of the branch is dead. You can start cutting back dead branches to improve the looks. However, I would wait until mid summer before writing death certificates.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas and their problems.

o
RE: Azalea's Dead?

Thank you for the information as it was very helpful. I will check for a pulse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here