Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyfarms_gw

Need large rhodo choice

harmonyfarms
17 years ago

We were going to use the Gomer Waters for around our deck. No one has them here. We want something with height (max 4-6 feet). There is lots of shade. I prefer white or variegated flowers. Help! TIA

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

What region? (It's 'Gomer Waterer', by the way). Note also that rhododendrons assigned a representative 10 year height of 4-6 ft. may be be approaching 8-12 ft. in 20 years. You may want to choose something dwarfer. As always, it's a compromise between quick satisfaction and long-term results. All rhododendrons are slow, so if you want immediate effect you may even have to choose an entirely different type.

They way they set flower buds on the ends of the strongest shoots it can be hard to control height without cutting into the bloom effect.

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Your shade will cut down on the blooming. Most rhododendrons need sun to set flower buds. Shade also make plants tall and spindly.

'Gomer Waterer' will usually bloom in shade but will get spindly. Here are some others that bloom in shade:

'Snowlady' is a lepidote (small leaved) hybrid rhododendron that grows to a height of only 30 inches. It produces an abundance of snowy white flowers and has fuzzy green leaves. It gets straggle in shade but will usually bloom.

'Catawbiense Album', the Catawba Rhododendron, is an elepidote (large leaved) rhododendron that grows to a height of 6 or 10 feet tall and a width of 5 to 8 feet. Though unusual, some cultivars may reach 15 or 20 feet with age. Foliage is dark green and leathery, with oval leaves, lending a course texture to the landscape. This is a selection that has lilac buds that open white. This plant is very hardy. It is generally dense under ideal conditions, but becomes more open in dense shade.

Yakushimanum (R. degronianum ssp.) is a good tough lepidote that usually has reddish-pink buds that open white. It usually blooms in shade. It is a compact plant that retains good habit in shade. Some better white selections are:
    'Kiochira Wada'
    'Yaku Angel'

• harmonyfarms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I meant to post my zone, I'm in upstate SC, zone 7b.

Should I look for an azalea instead? I def. don't want it to get over 6 feet.

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Azaleas generally do better in your area than rhododendrons. South of Washington, DC and closer to the ocean, rhododendrons are more difficult to grow. There are lots of rhododendrons doing well in the mountains, but not as many near the coast.

If you want a rhododendron, 'snowlady' or a 'yakushimanum' my be the best. Check with you local nurseries as to their experience.

• harmonyfarms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Update...seems the area that I THOUGHT was going to be shady (it is in the winter) gets LOTS of sun in the summer. We have three Rhodos there. One is not doing so well. Stays very droopy. ANY chance it's going to survive?

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

It is normal for them to be droopy in the heat of the day. If they are droopy in the morning, it is either too dry and needs water, or is too wet and is dying.

• boston9876
    16 years ago

I like Maximum, but for small leafed check out olga mezzit

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhodie Video

• chuckr
    16 years ago

If my experience is indicative, be careful in choosing catawbiense. I have some that hang out with an oak and a kousa dogwood plus mountain laurels. They sit in a one foot high berm over the native pure junk 'soil' - mostly bad draining shattered shale. Planted at 2-3 feet tall 16 years ago, they are, despite the less than optimal shading/crowding conditions, all of 8-10 feet tall now.

Standard disclosure: rhodyman and others here probably forgot more in the last week than I know about rhodies. These plants prospered as much despite me as not.

Sponsored