Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendrons dying

Posted by stogher 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 9:55

My rhododendrons are dying. I think it is from salt used to melt the ice. The snow mixed with salt was next to the rhododendrons. Could this be the reason? How can I save them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendrons dying

Why do you think they are dying? Please be more descriptive. I believe you can water them heavily to try and reduce the toxin to save them.

o

Yes, rhododendrons are sodium sensitive plants. They don't do well when they get salt products containing sodium such as table salt. There are many plant safe salt products, but some are actually fertilizer and may cause fertilizer burn.

The advice to water heavily was excellent IF the plants have good drainage. If you do this, water heavily when it is cool and then let it drain thoroughly. You may have to cut drain paths about 8 to 10 inches deep outside the drip line where it won't damage the roots to improve the drainage. The roots are very shallow so don't dig near the plant.

o
PS: Rhododendrons dying

PS:

Before flushing with water, remove all surface mulch and debris because it will have salt in it. Replace the mulch with new, salt-free mulch after flushing with water. Keep the old mulch away from any rhododendrons or azaleas.

o

Thanks for the input. I have performed these suggestions however, there are whole branches of curled brown leaves. Do I cut back or wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here