Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Encore - other everblooming? - azalea size

Posted by Claudia_In_Clay 8a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 10:20

Hello! Is there a variety of everblooming azalea that is either dwarf, spreading or generally stays smaller than their ordinary-sized, old-fashioned cousins? I've moved into a patio home and would love to plant Encore in my small backyard (approx 20 x 18 feet, with a 10 x 10 patio). But I need smaller foundation plantings. If Encores aren't right, would someone recommend a good dwarf azalea variety? (I'd love to alternate red and white or coral and white.) My soil is mostly red clay and moist - but I don't know yet how it will behave during the long, hot and dry South Carolina (USA) summers. My yard is mostly/part shade and I'm either zone 7 or 8, depending which map you consult!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Encore - other everblooming? - azalea size

I would not call the Encore's 'dwarf'. For small locations, I look at some of the Kurume Hybrids, like Hinodegiri, Hino Crimson (red), Snow (white), Christmas Cheer, etc. Clay soil will need to be amended as azalea's tiony roots will have a hard time penetrating clayish soil. They will need water regularly during the hot and dry times. If it is difficult to find a spot that provides shade in the afternoon during the worst of the summers, consider growing them in pots.

o
RE: Encore - other everblooming? - azalea size

I noticed that I forgot to paste a link on my prior msg... I was also going to let you know of another reblooming series of azaleas recently introduced called Bloom-A-Thon, sold in pots by Proven Winners and Monrovia. It claims that the flowers last very long (4-6 weeks).

I have not heard from others who can confirm as they have only recently been available in larger numbers. Usually, the first flush in Spring is the largest and best so it would be interesting to see how these "behave". They claim several flushes throughout the growing season; my Encores sometimes skip blooming in the summer if it is unusually hot. There are several colors in the BAT Series but white is the smallest. In your zone and mine, azaleas may get a tad bigger than their stated size (an estimate) due to our longer growing season. So take the BAT and Encore Size Estimates as estimates.

If you decide that reblooming is not too important, check some of the Bollywood Azaleas (small, blooms once but are variegated).

Here is a link that might be useful: Encores by size

This post was edited by luis_pr on Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 4:11

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here