Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhodos, kalmia and walnuts

Posted by tomtuxman 6bNY (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 10:41

My dear neighbor and I are planning to plant a mix of rhodos and kalmias along our common fence line. However, we observed that there is a walnut tree (likely a black walnut) only about 25 or 30 feet away from our intended site. Having read several threads on this forum about the incompatibility of rhodos and walnuts, maybe this is not such a good idea.
However, dear neighbor suggested she would like to get rid of the disreputable walnut anyway (nuts dented her car) and that might solve the problem.
Question #1: Will the offending substance in the walnut's roots survive the tree's demise? If so, what is a respectible mourning period?
Question #2: One of the older threads suggested creating a raised bed with landscape fabric underneath and mulching new plants in well. Has anyone had experience or knowledge of success with this approach?
P.S. I have a lilac growing not 15 feet from the despised walnut, and it does fine despite info that lilacs are also incompatible with walnuts.
Your advice much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhodos, kalmia and walnuts

Removing the tree and then using a raised bed with landscape fabric and a layer of gavel under it will solve the problem. The poisoning comes from the walnut roots as well as the leaves, etc. If a root cuts through the roots of the lilac, the problem will eventually show up.

I had a walnut start growing near a rhododendron bed. It started killing off the rhododendron branches before I saw it. I killed the walnut by girdling it and dug down around the rhododendron beds with a grubbing hoe and removed all roots that were coming into the rhododendron bed. I was able to save the bed. The walnut took about 5 seasons to die, but it was depleting its roots while doing this.

Steve Henning

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here