Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eli_h_gw

How to take care and keep my azalea flowering

eli_h
14 years ago

Hi All,

I received a wonderful Azalea pot as a gift.

As a newbie can I have your advices how to take care of this nice pot.

I live in Israel and the summer temperature rise to 95 F.

{{gwi:385314}}From Untitled Album

Thank you in advance

Eli Hadash

Comments (10)

• eli_h
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for the useful information.
    Have you any advice how to deal with the summer high temperatures ?
    Thank you in advance

Eli Hadash

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

That is where mulch and part shade will help you. But some wind breaks and/or misters may be needed if the area is windy. My summer temps are in the 100-115 degree ranges and they do well with just mulch; I check soil moisture levels once a week by hand (use a finger) just to be safe. Do try to contain the urge to water when the soil is moist (or wet) as this can lead to root rot.

• eli_h
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Luis for your answer.
    I don't know if you have noticed that my Azalea is a tiny one and it stay in a pot on the dining table. So your answer is not relevant to my situation.
    Can some one that have succeeded to keep tiny Azalea alive during hot summer season to share the experience.

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Sorry, eli_h. I thought you wanted to plant it outside. Go to the link below and read the article titled Florist Azaleas. You will need to let it get a few hours of morning sun, maintain the potting soil moist (not wet or dry) and choose a location where it does not get hot (they prefer cool places at night).

Here is a link that might be useful: Florist Azaleas Article

• Susan Heneghan
    6 years ago

Must add my thanks, too! I have the exact same azalea I bought for Easter decor! I live in Cicago and while an avid gardener , I’ve had bad luck with azaleas. Now I think I know why. Thanks again!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Very old post and the links provided do not work but azaleas do not make good long term houseplants. Period. Florist azaleas are typically sold as a disposable flowering gift plant. Enjoy the flowers for as long as you can but once they are gone, you might as well toss the plant....it will not bloom again indoors unless offered greenhouse conditions. They can be transitioned to the outside but only in milder climates where evergreen azaleas are able to be grown. Sorry but that's not gonna happen in Chicago.

• Susan Heneghan
    6 years ago

gardengal48: I had intended to plant my azalea outside. I know azaleas can and do thrive outdoors in Chicago, but they are probably different than the one I have. As you said an "evergreen" azalea. I don't know the difference? I may try to replant this outside and see what happens. If its a disposable plant, than why not? Thanks for the advice!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Azaleas come in both deciduous and evergreen forms. Deciduous azaleas tend to be more common in colder winter climates as few evergreen varieties withstand the cold winters. And florist azaleas - those sold as flowering gift plants - are often more cold sensitive than the standard landscape types. They seem to transition best in very mild winter areas...zones 7 and above.

But given the alternative, no reason not to try! Just try to site in a protected location out of winter winds and with some early day sun.

• Mike McGarvey
    6 years ago

Every one I have worked with needed to be up potted right away or planted in the ground here in Zone 8a.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus