Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
souppeggy

Questions about Encore Azaleas

souppeggy
17 years ago

As the chairman of my church landscape committee I am about to place an order for some 3 gallon size Encore's to be the background. There is a grove of hardwood and pine's and then white dogwood trees on the very front. We want the azaleas to front the dogwoods. It is on the west side of the church and I know will get afternoon sun and then the grove of trees will shade the azaleas in the late afternoon. I have some at home on a west brick wall and they have done wonderfully in the afternoon sun even though they suggest morning sun. However, I seek your opinions before I spend the churches money. Questions I have are there things I need to know about this variety of azalea? Which one grow best as a border? We are thinking of a contrast one that is less tall to front those in the back or same size on either side of the main border. Will this look good? I haven't measured the length of this area but think it might be about 60 feet long. I know there are many more questions that I haven't thought about. Would you be so kind as to point those out.

Comments (2)

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

All azaleas have shallow roots as do dogwood trees, so they don't mix well. It is best to keep the azaleas away from the drip line of the dogwoods do they don't compete for moisture.

Encore azaleas were introduced by Robert E. "Buddy" Lee, in Independence, Louisiana. They are bred from Rhododendron oldhamii ÂForth of July -- a cultivar selected from seed collected in 1968 at 2,500 feet up TaiwanÂs Mount Tai Tun. The female parent used to create Autumn Amethyst was a winter hardy hybrid called ÂKarens,Âa cross between ÂHinodegiriÂ, the old Kurume variety, and R. yedoensis var. poukhanense, the Korean azalea. Lee selected the seedling that was to be named Autumn Amethyst in 1986 but did not receive the plant patent until 1998.

Encore azaleas are available in an array of colors, growth forms and bloom characteristics. One of the newest cultivars is Autumn Angel, the first white flowered fall blooming azalea. Two more are slated for next year, and still others will be released in the future.

• railroadrabbit
    17 years ago

Talk to your GA county extension agent at 1-800-ASKUGA-1

Encores need at least 4 hours of sun to bloom. You will need to water a lot the first year, though.

The Encore Azalea web site has information that will help:
    http://www.encoreazalea.com

Click on the "Care Tips" link. Please also read the section at the bottom on Oklahoma and Texas. The part about clay soil may apply to you.

You should be able to get milled pine bark (also sold as Soil Conditioner at garden centers)to work into the soil. You may be able to buy it in bulk. Make sure it has low wood content in the pine bark. Any wood content in the bark will rob nitrogen from the soil. If you buy it in bags, smell it when you open the bag. If there is a heavy turpentine odor, there is probably too much wood content.

The more organic matter you can work into the soil the better water retention you will have. Over time the organic matter will break down, so the more you put in now, the longer your azaleas will last. You will also need to keep a thick layer of mulch to keep the sun from baking the moisture out of the dirt. The pine bark will be excellent for this also.

Test the soil for proper pH. You may need to add sulfer.

There is also a link for the Encore Collection. If you click on the flower you will get the height and spread of the various bushes.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.encoreazalea.com

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022