Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener365

Extreme Fungus

gardener365
14 years ago

I have a variegated rhododendron that I sited in the perfect place: under the shade of a woodland barrier and so it received morning sun until appx. 11 am. Perfect.

Whatever this plant is, however, fungused so much and also immediately, that it reminded me of Photinia planted in Portland, OR. The type of chemicals needed to control this and the perfect timing being Daconil. Mean nasty stuff, you know...

Well, after winter and finally addressing my question, the leaves are still 100% both alive yet the same fungus remains . What should I do? It's my instinct that says to allow the buds to push, then spray this plant - just as the leaves are unfolding - and when it has enough new leaves -- to clip the old ones off or use a razor blade sterilizing it between cuts to completely remove them. ..Same attention going to keeping the ground free of any fungal-leaves. This plant will never grow successfully here on it's own but.. This plant will be given a life-long opportunity to live in my garden and as time proceeds, an organic spray schedule will be my model for success, or not.

I thank you, kindly. The only thing I have a very mild fear of is that the removal of all the old leaves, 'could' kill this Rhodie. Just so you know -I have years of experience, and am able to visualize the balance proportions 'necessary' of - leaves being present proportinally to stems in order... to sustain plant life. Like I say it's a very, very, mild 'fear' if you will.

Thank you -

Dax