Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conifers_gw

Suggestions Please

conifers
16 years ago

Helllllo!

I have new property and these three photos to ask for suggestions. I'm very interested in saving money and will, dare I say, grow them from seeds.

What I have is a woodland deciduous section of Norway Maple with a few poplar. I'm also very open to suggestions for internet vendors who sell seedling-grown material.

Soil is below average meaning it is terrible clay mainly but allow me to worry about that. I'll berm em and amend correctly with organic-only material, without overdoing anything.

I appreciate your knowledge and any other advice.

Thanks ! ! ! !

Dax

I wish to plant in mostly full shade and then surrounding the perimether I'll be planting in part shade/filtered light.

{{gwi:385508}}

{{gwi:385509}}

{{gwi:385511}}

I envision a peppering of broadleaf evergreens in full shade (25) and (50) deciduous azaleas in full shade and then (100-150) deciduous azales in part sun/shade or dappled light. Again, thanks...

Comments (5)

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

From my perspective, because your oasis looks alot like the lot that I bought and cleared, with the heat index at 100 plus, I'd thin out the trees then work your way out depending on where you are going to build so you have a good view. And I would buy lining out stock not seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

I hate to throw a damper on your plans, but a quick look at your photos is bringing up some problems. You have a drainage issue for one...I have clay, but clay with a lot of organic material in it - it will hold moisture for a long time but never standing water/poor aeration which would quickly kill rhododendrons and azaleas.

These really aren't full shade plants - in order to bloom they require some light and the canopy from Norway maple is generally quite dense.

You would want to avoid planting rhododendron and azalea under dense or surface-rooted trees, the root competition makes both norway maple and popular unsuitable associates along with ash, beech, elm, sycamore.

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks.. I haven't had the time to watch for areas of possible less shade. Maybe they're aren't any for all I know.

I appreciate the information. I must admit that I'm shocked there aren't a small family/subspecies, "anything" that would tolerate shade. Here's a photo of the type of clay I have (my house is already situated & built).

{{gwi:385512}}

Well I guess I think you guys are right. The Norways and the poplars just keep sending up more suckers. I still might do some small trees though that tolerate full shade. I'm just bummed.

Thank you,

Dax

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Rhododendrons and azaleas love shade but they won't bloom in shade. Virtually nothing will bloom in full shade.

Nothing grows under Norway Maples except maybe Lily of the Valley and moss. The combination of dense shade and shallow roots makes it impossible to grow much of anything including grass. In fact they are considered an invasive species in many states. Have you considered a moss garden.

You mention using seedlings. Most rhododendrons and azaleas are hybrids and won't come true from seed. Only species will come true from seed. However, if you can find a wholesale nursery, you can buy liners (rooted cuttings) very cheaply.

Third, as was mentioned, your root competition is fierce and drainage poor. These are both fatal conditions to rhododendrons and azaleas. A raised bed with a root barrier underneath can resolve both problems. But you would need to thin the forest canopy to open up the shade or plant where there is only partial shade. A wind break is important for broadleaved evergreens. The combination of winter sun and wind is very hard on them. Some shade and wind protection are very important.

Here is a link that might be useful: Norway Maple

• conifers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rhodyman, you've made an impression with your words. well-written.

thank you guys,

Dax

Sponsored