Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
huge pink rhododendron ID question

Posted by MemoriosoFunes WA zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 13:03

Greetings, helpful rhodendron adepts.

I've inherited a 60 yr. old rhodendron garden on Puget Sound with this 30' tall pink monster.

It blooms in March, as the photo, taken several days ago indicates.

It is untagged, and I'd like to know what it is.

Can you help, please?

Thanks in advance,
Memorioso Funes

Here is a link that might be useful: entire plant photo link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: huge pink rhododendron ID question

It looks a lot like an old English variety, Cynthia. Cynthia grows to 6 ft. in 10 years, hardy to -15F, blooms mid-season. An old favorite that is still one of the best for a strong growing, background plant. 'Cynthia' will produce a bounty of large, conical, rosy-crimson trusses. Sun and heat tolerant.

o

'Cynthia' blooms in the latter part of May here in the Pacific NW.
It has larger, more compact trusses than shown with no blotch in the upper petals. I have one that is 18 ft. tall after 35 years.
My guess, and it's just a guess, is 'Mrs Furnival'.
Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden pictures

o

My guess is some sort of Rhododendron arboreum hybrid - large plants, very early blooming and deep pink a common color. With all the rhododendron nurseries that line Puget Sound, odd selections and countless unnamed hybrids abound. If it wasn't still currently March, I'd say one of our native species, R. macrophyllum......but they would not be blooming this early, even in very sheltered locations.

btw, anywhere immediately surrounding Puget Sound is USDA zone 8 (if not higher). Sunset zones are much different and do not translate well across the country.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here