Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbtexas

Our azalea is sick

cbtexas
15 years ago

We planted this a few weeks ago and it started out great. We live in west Texas and I now find out that the soil may not be the greatest for azaleas because they say the soil is too alkaline. Will amending the soil with sulphur or iron sulphate help acidify the soil enough that the azalea will be happy and the grass will still be happy too? Here are some pics I took this morning. It may be another problem besides the soil problem. I will say that I added some compost and wet peat moss in with the soil when I planted the azalea. It gets morning and early afternoon sun. This side of my shop building faces east. Here are the pics. Thanks for anyones help.

{{gwi:385598}}

{{gwi:385599}}

{{gwi:385600}}

Comments (5)

• jean001
    15 years ago

Because it's showing problems so soon after planting, it's likely a water shortage in the original rootball.

It's important to plant a moist rootball (presoaked for 20 minutes or until bubbles stop) into moist soil.

Followup care requires water be applied on top of the rootball.

Beyond that, you may also have pH problems but that will show up a bit later. So you have time to ask at large independent garden centers concerning how to best deal with pH in your region. In southern California, iron chelates are needed. Your soil's needs may be similar.

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

A dry root ball is a very common problem, but the symptom is wilting of the leaves which I don't see on your plant.

To plant a rhododendron or azalea in alkaline areas you need a raised bed. It is made of 10 to 12 inches of acidic soil in a bed above the native alkaline soil. Adding sulfur to alkaline soil is a loosing battle because the alkalinity will bleed in from the surrounding alkaline areas. By using a bed above the alkaline soil, you can avoid this problem.

Also, watering with alkaline water is a problem. If your tap water is alkaline you will need to use rain water.

However, your plant doesn't show symptoms of alkaline soil yet. It may be too soon. If the leaves turn yellowish with green veins, then you know your soil is too alkaline. I would get a soil tested for nutrients and pH and see what you need to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

The final solution may still require more work since the soil acidity is only part of the problem. The soil in West Texas (Austin, San Anton, etc) is caliche soil which requires that you plant the azalea in raised beds filled with acidic soil. Here in North Central Texas (Dallas, Fort Worth), we have clay soil and lime soil, both of them require that we grow them using the same approach. In East Texas, you would be fine as the soil is acidic and not that clayish.

Why the fuss? Azalea roots grow in the top 4" of the soil (approx) and are so tiny that they cannot penetrate clay or compacted soil. This causes the plant to decay after a year or two. Nearby local nurseries should be able to tell you which type of soil you have; you can also send a soil sample for analysis at Texas A&M.

Also consider the pH of an unlikely source. Water! Water in Dallas has an approximate pH of 7.5 which azaleas can tolerate provided that you apply amendments several times a year. But in certain areas, such as De Soto, the pH of the water is 8.5 and that really forces you to look at rain barrels as a source of water for the azaleas. Why the fuss? Azaleas grow best in areas where the soil pH is 4.5 to 6+. They tolerate more alkaline soils up to a point. After that, they begin to suffer from iron chlorosis. To prevent and treat iron chlorosis, you add amendments like garden Sulphur, liquid soil acidifiers with iron chelated products, etc.

Luis

• cbtexas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have applied iron sulphate and worked some ironinte in the ground yesterday. We will see what it looks like in a week or two.

• rhodyman
    15 years ago

Why?? Your plant doesn't show any signs of iron deficiency. The symptoms of iron deficiency are yellowing of the leaves with green veins. Do not dig around the roots. They are very shallow and easily damaged. If in fact the soil is alkaline, the iron will have no effect. The reason for the acidic soil is so the iron will be in a form that the plant can use.

If, in fact, you have alkaline soil, a raised bed is the best solution. It permits one to effectively control the soil pH and provides good drainage.

Now, your plant just shows the signs of being planted in poor soil in full sun with no mulch. Even the grass looks poor. A little (half the amount on the package and only applied once while blooming) HollyTone when it blooms and 2" of mulch will do wonders for your plant.

I can't tell how good your drainage is, but the roots need to be watered in dry weather. If you have poor drainage, then watering is tricky since they can easily get root rot if the roots remain too wet.

As I mentioned before, if you have alkaline water, only use rain water.

Ideally an azalea is planted in partial shade in moist well drained acidic soil.

Sponsored