Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rolacoy

Covering Encore Azaleas with plastic ?

rolacoy
14 years ago

I bought about 60 Encore Azaleas in June nearly two years ago. I planted them in the Summer of 08 so this will be their 3rd Summer here. They were in the buckets that are bigger than gallons. Is that 2 gallon, anyway they were pretty good size and expensive. I lost 3 during that Summer, because I did not know what I was doing. The next Spring I bought 15 in the gallon buckets.

I planted the 60 along our back fence and the 15 around 2 big Oak trees. I had to dig up the 15 last Winter, I was told that the Oak trees were eating all of the food. I lost 3 or 4 of the 15. I now have what is left of the 156 in the greenhouse in the bigger buckets. I trimmed them back and they are starting to put on nice big leaves.

The 60 across the back of the yard don't look too good to me, but I am very new at this and don't know what I am doing. About 1/2 of them are in the sun and the other 1/2 will be in the shade of the Oak trees once they leaf out. I will post some pictures this afternoon.

I have a question, I put a sheet of plastic over 5 of the 60 that are in the sun to see what it will do to them. I thought maybe they would think that they were in a greenhouse and put on some nice leaves like the smaller ones.

Comments (6)

Sponsored