Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shic_2006

shell pink rhodie/Azalea

shic_2006
18 years ago

I saw this impressive plant recently. The flowers are large and doubled. The color is amazing - light shell pink. Does anyone know the name of it.

Comments (20)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

'Pink Pearl' -- an old, old cultivar dating back more than a hundred years?
    I first planted one nearly 40 years ago and I've loved it since.
    I planted five when I added to this border, ten years ago.
    {{gwi:385627}}

Of course, there are dozens of shell pink azaleas, but this is my favorite.

Nell

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I like your garden and plants, but - No, that is NOT the color. Or maybe if you could have a closer shot of a flower. I should say the color is more towards light apricot. It is amazing. Anyone know this double cultivar?

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

i agree with nell that it would be very hard to i.d. without a photo. if you have the time to go through these, the website linked below has many photos. they are only in alphabetical order and not by color so would be time consuming.
    i posted a pic in the gallery of 'easter parade' which may fit the criteria(large flowers). 'glory' is a more apricot pink than the one in the above photo but i would not say the flowers are large.
    i am a fan of 'pink pearl', too, nell. i have a few of them and they are spectacular in full-bloom this weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: azalea society photos

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Maybe Wakaebisu? It's a beautful salmon color, hose in hose, lateblooming. I once bought one because an elderly gentleman in the garden center was buying one. I forgot about checking the root system. It was so rootbound that it never thrived and eventually died.

Nell

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have 'easter parade', so that is not it. I know lots of Azaleas and Rhodies myself. I never see one like that ... that is why I was impressed.

Nell, I also suspect 'Wakaebisu'. However, I say the color is lighter and more apricot. Although the flower is doubled, it does resemble the following garden flowers, in terms of color and possibly shape:
    {{gwi:385628}}

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Shic, here's a close up of Pink Pearl. It varies as it ages. This is how it looks today.

{{gwi:385629}}

If the azalea that you saw was a florist's azalea and with quite large hose in hose flowers, it may be a Rutherfordiana Hybrid. That would narrow your search somewhat. Rutherfords have flowers intermediate between the Durumes and the Belgian Indicas. Robin Hill Hybrids would give you another group of largish flowers to look at, too. It's hard to determine colors; my book has a photo of 'Nancy of Robin Hill' that looks salmon -- the description mentions purple.

Nell

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is that yours? Beautiful. I probably should not say the flowers are "large" in my case. It is not the smallest flower either. But it is not large - diameter about 2-3". I will keep looking.

• rhodyman
    18 years ago

A possibility:

Blaauw's Pink AGM (Kurume)
    (H4) Salmon pink hose-in-hose with paler shading. Flowers in early May. Height 50-75 cm.

{{gwi:385630}}{{gwi:385631}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Blaauws Pink

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rhody man, thank you for the suggestions. Your plants are absolutely beautiful. It helps a lot.

However, the flowers I saw have little or no filament/anther/style stuff. Those have turned into small narrow petals. The color is exactly the same as my image (5 posts above).

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Shic, Shic, go look at this photo and see if this is it?

If not, it's a pretty one anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn Debutante

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for the image. Very nice. But I have said the flowers do not have any filament, style, etc in the center.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

I've come up with two names, no photos. These are sister plants and reputedly have no stamens.

Glendoick Mystique
    Johnny Stephens

Nell

In the meantime, please go look at my slide show of native azaleas in a private garden.
    Did you also see my post to Fragrant Forum with the photo of the fullsize Michelia, shic?

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Azalea Slideshow

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nell, yes, I am speechless. It is such a scene of wonder. I bet it smells wonderful too. I am young, if you are looking for someone to take over the garden one day when you are not able to control it ... let me know. Please do not worry.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

The slideshows are photos from a plantation owned by a foundation. The 'Plant Lady' hopes to train younger people before she gets too old to continue maintaining the grounds and the Butterfly Garden.

As for my little patch in the photos above, it's designed so that when I'm no longer able to tend it, it can mostly revert to wild and the other parts be mowed over with a big mower. Because of rampant growth in this part of the country, I have lots of wide paths that are kept mowed so I can watch for snakes.

And the Michelia did smell heavenly, even with only a small portion of open blooms. The native azaleas smelled good. It was a marvelous tour.

• rhodyman
    17 years ago

Glendoick Mystique: Final Height : 1.3m. Hardiness : H4
    Very good dark green foliage. Free-flowering. Possibly the best of our larger hybrids, a winner.
    Flowers : Glowing salmon-peach flowers in late May in fine trusses, a really different and irresistible colour.

It is nice but doesn't fit the original poster's description:

{{gwi:385632}}

Johnny Stephens:Hardiness : H4
    Flowers : Apricot-peach in May. Sister of Glendoick Mystique
    No photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glendoick Gardens, Scotland

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rhodie, you hi-jacked my topic. I am still looking for this rare and beautiful green house double cultivar with the specific color.

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    17 years ago

Rhodyman did not hi-jack your topic, I did. He merely clarified two cultivars that I had named in a previous post as being tentative possibilities. I're not being helpful, obviously. I will stop trying.

Nell

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nell and Rodieman are both very helpful, obviously ...

• ego45
    17 years ago

Could it be that you are talking about good old Rosebud?
    {{gwi:385633}}

• shic_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rose buds are truly lovely. However I would rather just have roses which flower for ever ... anyway, the shape and color of the double azalea look like:
    {{gwi:385628}}

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner