Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeybob_gw

Rhododendron Flower Buds for Winter Interest?

mikeybob
16 years ago

I am noticing that some rhododenrons are described as having colorful buds in the winter. For example, "Kimberly" is described by one nursery as having bright purple bud scales all winter, while another says that the buds are deep purple red. I am wondering how much color is really present, and I can't seem to find any pictures online of Kimberly buds in winter. Does anyone here grow rhododenrons with colorful buds in winter, and how colorful are they? Here are some descriptions I noticed:

Bronze Wing - "A very attractive, compact plant, especially in winter when it displays red buds."

Kimberly - "with bright purple bud scales which make the plant attractive all winter long" ... "As added interest in the winter, the buds are a deep purple red"

Kimbeth - "Rouge-pink flower buds bring merry color through the winter."

Pink Snowflakes - "beautiful bright red flower buds that make the plant extra attractive all winter."

Winsome - "sets attractive reddish flower buds which you get to enjoy all winter."

Wynterset White - "The dormant flower buds are dark maroon, lending winter interest"

Yak x Williamsianum (Pink Form) - "with bright red wintering buds."

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions