Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nycynthias

Right amount of shade for Girards Pleasant White?

nycynthias
15 years ago

Hi all, this is my first foray into attempting azaleas so please excuse me if this is a super-dumb question. I impulse-bought some Girards Pleasant White azaleas this week while I meant to only get a new shovel & wheelbarrow! Oops.

I'm so azalea-ignorant I didn't even realize that 1) there were evergreen azaleas (as opposed to rhodos), and 2) azaleas would live happily here in Z6 NY.

So anyway--now that I have these little plants I want to make them happy. I know they would prefer "part shade" but how shady exactly? I have open spots for them all over the north side of my house, ranging from pretty much full shade to 1/2 shade/bright shade. What amount of light would make them the happiest?

Or, alternately, should I use them as understory to some humongous mature (8' tall) Pieris Japonica we just moved away from the house's foundations? The Pieris are now in an area that's going to get filtered sun in the summer--a good bit more than the foundation areas where I'd originally intended to use the azaleas.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths