Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Right amount of shade for Girards Pleasant White?

Posted by nycynthias Z6 NY (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 15:47

Hi all, this is my first foray into attempting azaleas so please excuse me if this is a super-dumb question. I impulse-bought some Girards Pleasant White azaleas this week while I meant to only get a new shovel & wheelbarrow! Oops.
I'm so azalea-ignorant I didn't even realize that 1) there were evergreen azaleas (as opposed to rhodos), and 2) azaleas would live happily here in Z6 NY.
So anyway--now that I have these little plants I want to make them happy. I know they would prefer "part shade" but how shady exactly? I have open spots for them all over the north side of my house, ranging from pretty much full shade to 1/2 shade/bright shade. What amount of light would make them the happiest?
Or, alternately, should I use them as understory to some humongous mature (8' tall) Pieris Japonica we just moved away from the house's foundations? The Pieris are now in an area that's going to get filtered sun in the summer--a good bit more than the foundation areas where I'd originally intended to use the azaleas.
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Right amount of shade for Girards Pleasant White?

Azaleas need good drainage and acidic soil. Usually near a foundation the pH is a little alkaline from the cement in the foundation.

They like partial shade. To much sun can cause problems with lace bugs, and too much shade will give you nice green plants with no flowers. So partial shade is best. 1/2 sun and 1/2 shade is ideal. They could take a little more shade if necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas.

o
RE: Right amount of shade for Girards Pleasant White?

nycynthias, I have about half a dozen of these Girard's Pleasant White azaleas in various spots around the garden. They have flourished here in different amounts of shade, just as the previous poster indicated, from half & half to pretty deep shade most of the day.

Girard's Pleasant White tends to have a spreading habit -- growing wider than tall, layered rather than compact -- so it looks more natural as a landscape shrub than as a clipped foundation plant. That's another reason (besides the pH that was mentioned) that you might want to keep these azaleas a little farther away from the house.

The Pleasant Whites have been very hardy and problem free for me, so you should have a good choice for your first foray into growing azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here