Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shadetree_bob

Azaleas in planter, how much root space?

shadetree_bob
15 years ago

I have really deep (40' plus) sugar sand and have had trouble getting azaleas to live for lack of water. five gallons of water poured into a two gallon hole is almost gone before the bucket is empty. I have added composted leaves, uncomposted leaves, peat moss, bags & bags of top soil, still after a year or two they all die. I refuse to give up, so now I am going to build a three foot square planter and fill it with good soil and try again. How deep should I make the planter? I am guessing about three feet. It will be raised off the ground about 6 inches and well drained. This of course will be the permament, unmoveable, home for it. It will be in a morning sun afternoon shade spot.

Comments (3)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Where are you? If you have sandy soils combined with alkaline water, even your raised bed may not meet long term requirements for azaleas...

Rhododendrons and azaleas flourish in soils high in organic content. One drawback of doing a raised bed of highly organic soil is that it's going to settle some over time so plant high to begin with. It's best to use organic material that has already begun the breaking down process rather than fresh plant remains which will use more nitrogen completing their break down....and avoid mushroom compost (sometimes called mushroom manure) - which is not composted mushrooms but the medium in which they were commercially grown, contains lime and is too high in salts.

18" is a recommended depth for raised beds over alkaline or badly draining clay soils, I would assume the same is true for sand. It sounds like you plan to excavate and construct a bed of amended soil, I wonder if it wouldn't work better if you could plan for 18" above grade although I'm not certain that would be as important for sand as for clay base.

• shadetree_bob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am about eighty miles ssw of Dallas, near Tyler and no alkaline water, just good drinkable, deep well water. I plan to build a box with a bottom in it. Like a large planter setting on the patio. It will be filled with locally composted leaves etc. and top soil. I could use nothing but compost, but that would be a total waste of good compost. When I built my other planters I filled them to the top and soaked them with a slow stream for several hours and then let them dry for a week or so before planting, no settling problems so far and I have about 20 of various sizes fron 2x2 feet up to 4x8 feet. I basically just need to know how deep the roots of azaleas go, so I will not have them growing out the bottom of the planters. I pretty much have my whole garden in raised boxes, with drip irrigation.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

Azaleas grow a fine dense network of surface roots that will extend at least as far as the widest branches in the ground, with just a few larger anchoring roots that will grow deeper. For that reason azalea pots are normally wider than deep - starting with the smaller sizes typical is 6"x4" (wide deep), 12"x8" etc, but you get the idea/ratio I'm sure.

My concern about settling had to do with the need for the large volume of organic material in ideal container medium, organic material/compost will continue to break down over time, thus the settling. Pay close attention too to drainage of your medium in a container, it will be especially important in a warmer climate - too moist roots + heat= root rot.

One suggestion for a good long term container mix for rhododendron and azalea is minimum 50% premoistened peat, into which approx 25% leaf mold, 25% sandy loam has been incorporated.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County