Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Azalea var. Bittersweet toxicity?

amccour
15 years ago

They were selling these at Krogers fairly cheaply and apparently they stay small enough to work as houseplants so I figured I'd give it a shot. Also as far as I can tell it's some weird, copyrighted variety belonging to Yoder Brothers, Inc. Anyway, I AM a bit concerned about toxicity. Currently I'm keeping it in my dorm because the humidity and lighting are much, much better there, but during the summer I'll be at home and probably keeping it outside on the porch. I doubt my dogs or cat would ever be able to get at it because they stay in a completely seperate part of the house, but, and this is probably just my extreme paranoia talking, should I be concerned about the occasional stray, shed leaf ending up where it shouldn't -- somewhere indoors where one of my pets could potentially get at it? Or does there need to be a more significant amount ingested to cause severe problems? I'm finding a lot of conflicting information (also things indicating that it can be more of a problem for ruminants because they're much more likely to eat large quantities than housepets).

Comment (1)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio