Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question: recover of Azalea damaged by falling pot

Posted by shic_2006 4a 5a (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 10, 06 at 17:04

A large pot fell on top of this beautiful indoor pink Azalea. I lost about 10 valuable tiny seedlings in that pot.

The Azalea had two branches semi-broke. The woody center is severely broken (see image below). However, there is 1/2 to 1/3 healthy green/red skin still attached.

I do not have any grafting tapes, etc. I know many plants can expand their skin to recover. I let it stay like this. I removed all the flowers and buds from the two branches.

I would like to know if the branches may survive. What I can do to maximize the possibility of survival of the two branches. I actually like the falling shape of the two branches now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question: recover of Azalea damaged by falling pot

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 11:07

Shic, the general suggestion for damaged azaleas is to remove anything jagged or torn with sharp pruners, a clean cut is preferable to anything ragged which could allow a foothold for secondary insect or disease problem. I'm not sure how that applies to plants grown indoors however...

Azaleas have dormant growth buds all up and down their stems so the location of the cut isn't critical to their regrowth, and healthy plants do respond well to hard pruning.

o

Morz, thank you. I am considering doing that.

However, if you remember, this is a small indoor plants. By doing the cut, it is very close to "cut back to the ground level". I am concerned that it may take several years before retaining of the shape of the plant. I feel Azaleas are not speedy growers.

o

Recovery will be speedier if you make clean cuts soon. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

o

rhizo_1,

From my previous interactions with you, I am not sure if you are giving me sincer advice.

If I cut the whole plant back, how long does it take to reach 1' under idea temperature and light?

o

Shic, be kind to your plant and prune it back to the break.

Back in the winter, the lawn mow-er rolled right over a little rooted azalea cutting about 6 inches high, leaving tiny stubs of about an inch or so. Already it has green leaves and is growing. Azaleas that are cut back will usually quickly recover to the size they were before if the roots are not harmed and you don't manipulate their growing conditions too drastically.

Do you agree that pruning stimulates growth hormones?

Nell

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 16:22

Nell, that's sort of it :)

There is a hormone produced by leaf buds which inhibits development of dormant buds along the stems. Removing those upper leaf buds/leaves along with their inhibiting hormone allows for emergence of dormant lower growth. So in that way pruning does stimulate new growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here