Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestion for azalea color w/this brick

Posted by txgal06 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 17, 08 at 17:18

Could someone offer suggestions for azalea color that would look good with this brick?
Tanglewood brick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestion for azalea color w/this brick

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 16:24

Colors are such personal choices, the person you need to please is you.

But I looked for suggestions in Penelope Hobhouse's Color in the Garden - as a designer, she feels bright reds and deep blue toned (cool) pinks not good - too busy against brick. Yellows, salmon, coral pinks, orange more pleasing. White with the contrast of green foliage could be quite nice.

I would probably follow that advice, but salmon, coral and yellow are more appealing to me any location, I'm not a cool pink gardener and use only a little red. I'd love to see deep blue against that background, but of course we know you can't do that with azaleas.

You may want to keep an eye on PH in a bed against brick though, especially with new construction. The leaching properties of mortar near beds can potentially raise the ph out of the acceptable range for azaleas.

o

Your brick wall is so close to being an earth tone that I can't think of any azalea color that wouldn't look good.

Follow morz8's advice and follow your heart.

o

I held a CD up next to the screen, so that it was making all the colors of the rainbow, and what looked nice with that brick, IMO, is maroon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here