Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are my chances - transplanted azaleas?

Posted by jaimeg z6KY (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 18:43

I just moved two azaleas and wonder how easily they handle this type of move. I don't know anything about the plants, since this is our first spring in this house.

Here is what I know...they are about 18" tall and had light-ish green leaves last summer (lighter than hollies they are planted in front of). In the fall the leaves turned burgundy. This spring the leaves are pretty sparce and a dark burgundy color. I moved 2 plants and left 3 in their original spots. I can see what I think are flower buds on all plants. All plants have pretty sparce leaves (aren't they supposed to be evergreen?) The leaves on the transplanted plants look alittle drier than those not transplanted, they look otherwise the same. They were moved about a week ago (then we had a big snow!) They are all planted in absolute full sun. When I moved them, I added peat moss to the soil and fed all with Miracle Grow Azalea food. I'm worried that both sets of plants aren't doing well because of the sparce dark leaves??
Thanks for any input. I'm going to try to figure out how to post some photos.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are my chances - transplanted azaleas?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 23, 06 at 20:16

Some photos would be good...

They move easily if you were careful not to plant them any deeper than they were originally growing....the two times of year that can be hardest on them when transplanting are when the ground is frozen, or the period immediately following bloom when the new foliage buds are opening.

But, the burgundy foliage color doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, it's normal for some azaleas. That they have lost some foliage could be normal too, or they could be stressed from too much or not enough water, compacted soils.

Careful with the fertilizer, particularly when newly planting or transplanting...these are not heavy feeders and have low nutritional requirements compared to most shrubs. I'm sure you are anxious to put your own imprint on your new garden, but it might be better to wait until you see how things are doing before making too many major changes...it's only very barely Spring :)

o

Fertilizing after transplanting is very stressful. Youe Miracid will push new growth on a plant that has just had the roots disturbed. I wouldn't even use Miracid on a healthy plant. It is high in nitrogen which is not what azaleas need. Fertilization is seldom needed and when it is needed a gentle fertilizer is best, one like Hollytone.

o

Thanks for the info, I definitely won't repeat the Miracle Grow mistake again. I'm hoping they they are tough and make it through my "care!" I'll be happy if they live and thrilled if they actually flower this year.
Thanks again.

o

I moved some 20 yr old azaleas a couple of years ago against advice from everyone. I figured I really had nothing to lose because they had to come out to put the deck up. I watered them everyday that summer and they have done just fine. I was very very surprised. LOL

Cindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here