Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhododendron

Posted by cemeehan 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 19:05

Can a small rhododendron for zones 7-10 be wintered indoors in a colder zone? Do they still have a dormant period in warmer zones?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhododendron

Z7-10 rhododendrons can be grown in containers, but indoor house temperatures and dryness would likely be fatal eventually. Dormancy or at least a winter rest period is also important for long term health. The ideal would be a cool greenhouse or other place kept just above freezing.

o

One thing some people do is build a cold frame attached to their home just outside a north facing basement window. It gets some heat from the basement, but hopefully not the dry air. It would be protected from sun and wind and have a more temperate temperature. It would need to be watched and watered when there was any sign of dryness.

I have built a shelf using a sink cutout in my unheated, unattached garage inside a north-facing window. I keep my new plants that haven't been planted yet there. It does freeze but is protected from sun and wind. An attached garage would be better, but would need closer watching.

o

" but indoor house temperatures and dryness would likely be fatal eventually. "

I keep my house in the mid 60s in winter, and some rhododendrons I had inside because I was attempting to graft onto them (yes, the _wrong_ time of the year for BLEs, but the right time for conifers) did just fine with plastic bags over their tops - kept off the foliage of course.

I just wanted to be sure it could _not_ be done in winter. But I'm not sure what I've proven because I think my technique was really bad. I have read somewhere that people have sometimes grafted in winter. The correct time is supposed to be summer after the new growth has slightly hardened. The rootstock plants were not harmed and I'll try again; one of the 3 grafts still looks like it might have taken. I'll try again. I did a little better with my conifer grafts, with 2 out of 3 I'm sure having taken.

o

Indoors in zone 5 is much drier and hence much more severe than indoors in zone 7.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here