Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

Rip out Encores, or wait another season?

Frankie_in_zone_7
16 years ago

I've planted a few Encores in 2 locations, both of which, admittedly, are pushing the azalea envelope. Zone 7 in central Arkasas. One site is a really too dry in summer; though I tried to water a lot in first year and a half so far to get established, and the shrubs are surviving, but they are not really kept moist and look a little scrawny. These bloomed once the first spring after planting in late fall, and have not bloomed again in the past year. The others are in an area that gets more moisture, but now with the growth of some other shrubs, maybe too much shade. These have happier foliage but again, have not bloomed in a full year.

Thing is, I have other azaleas, some Indicas and some Satsukis, that are doing well under similarly "adverse" conditions. That may be because they bloom after the fall and winter rains and don't have to work again for a year.

So, other than being nicer to my plants, is there experience out there that says year 3 is the magic year, or are the Encore's a bit more finicky in terms of conditions? I'm impatient to use these areas for better performers, but like all shrub culture-ers, I wondered if they just needed ONE MORE YEAR and then would take off! I've read some of the other threads and hadn't expected loads of blooms, but had hoped for sprinklings in the mixed shrub border.

I know there's no right answer, since it "depends" on whether they are just not getting what they need, but maybe someone has been a "ripper" or a "waiter" and can share experience?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions