Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can this rhodo be saved?

Posted by kailleanm (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 07 at 20:04

Hi there,

We recently purchased a new-to-us house. There are several shrubs and trees that look sick, including this rhodo. I have no idea what kind it is. The owner before us wasn't much of a gardener, and the original owner planted everything too close to the house and/or garage.

Anyway, can you tell from these pics, what might be wrong with this rhodo and if I should try to save it. The one directly beside it looks pretty good.

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can this rhodo be saved?

Forgot to mention, I am in Vancouver, BC - Zone 8

o

Wind and cold damage is indicated when the edges of the leaves become distorted and turn brown. This occurs frequently in plants that may be in a colder climate than recommended or in a location with severe exposure. Provide protection from winter winds and winter sun. Note, boron poisoning or fertilizer burn will create the same symptoms except uniformly over the plant rather than just on areas exposed to the sun and wind.

Winter burn is normally just a temporary setback unless the winters get worse. Some people use antitranspirants in the fall and winter to protect these more tender plants or plants that are in more exposed locations.

Boron poisoning and fertilizer burn need to be addressed.

o

Thanks.

Both are a possibility. We had wicked winds in December and January, though not very cold.

And I also think the previous owners did try to "fix up" the shrubs and trees before selling. They did a horrible pruning job on a few and I suspected over-fertilization on a camellia that's also in the yard.

What can I do about fertilizer burn?

o

Water very thoroughly when you water. Let the ground almost dry out before watering again. If you are getting a bunch of light rains, then water heavily once in a while to compensate for the wimpy rains. Sprinkling sawdust on the surface of the ground will also wick out some of the nitrogen when it rots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here