Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is eating my rhododendron?

Posted by jolynn_2009 VA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 20:06

I have two indigenous rhododendrons. On of them is fine, but the other one, just a few steps away, is being eaten by something. Does anyone know what it might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is eating my rhododendron?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 10:57

Do you have deer? The two leaves you show look like bites from a browsing deer to me...

Climbing cutworms will consume a significant portion of one leaf here, but more often the side to mid rib, not the end and not quite similar patterns on two leaves :)

o

I agree that it looks like deer damage. Deer only have one set of teeth and hence rip leaves when they eat them. I had to put up an 8' fence to keep deer from eating my rhododendrons. It is common for one to be eaten and the next to be left. They are more attracted to some. Also, some are closer to their browse path. If they like them and they are close to their browse path, they will continue to browse on a leaf or 2 each day until something better comes along this spring. There are sprays which work for a while. Before I put up my deer fence, I used deer netting each winter. I could take it off in the spring when the buds were opening. Otherwise the buds grow through the netting and trap it on the plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preventing Deer Damage

o

• Posted by MFIX BUF, NY z5 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 16:34

Definitely looks like deer damage. We have that problem here in the suburbs of Buffalo, and they are quite a nuisance. They do not generally like the evergreen rhodos I have noticed, but will sometimes give an Azalea a good clipping, maybe the leaves are more manageable, not sure. They usually don't do it again though. One year an entire Azalea was eaten, but that hasnt happened since, and we have planted three new ones. I have also had them mow down a viburnum, and hydrangea, but we suspect that could have been bunnies also (they are the real enemy, cute or not). I have used Plantskyyd deer repellent, and it is very, very good. It is a blood based, organic product, and it smells and looks terrible, but hey, its winter, who cares?

o

thank you all so much. Maybe now that the other plants are starting to grow they won't have to eat my rhodo's

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here