Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitha1215

I Need to Know If This is Appropriate.....

kitha1215
16 years ago

The neighbors next door moved and left this gorgeous beyond gorgeous azalea bush(sorry it was too dark for me to get a decent pic). Anyway, I want to know is it good garden etiquette for me to cut a piece of the bush even though they don't live there anymore? Furthermore, if I did so would it grow? I mean can you do this sort of thing with an azalea bush--propagate it(if that's the right word)? I just want to be a good gardener......but if you just say the word I'll be next door first thing in the morning with my garden shears! LOL Thanx in advance!

Comments (20)

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Of course you must get permission from the owner. I don't think you would want people hacking on your plants without your permission.

If you get permission, you can take cuttings. For information on rooting azalea cuttings go to the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating azaleas using rooted cuttings

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But they moved waaaay out of town and aren't ever coming back.....I'll never see these people again.

• hawaii50
    16 years ago

You are going to have to live with yourself, who is always nearby.

• craftlady07
    16 years ago

why not wait until the new owners move in?

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

But you know it is wrong or you wouldn't be asking us to rationalize bad behavior and overrule your conscience.

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, ok, people. Let me get something clear. I DID NOT know if it was wrong or not b/c they're not in the house anymore....THAT'S why I asked. I don't just go around plucking things out of people's yards, ok. I DO ask people's permission if I may have a clipping of their plants. I don't want to be misunderstood...sheesh! All I wanted to know is is it wrong since they're not going to be there anymore. This is my first time with this sort of thing and I just wanted to know if it was ok or not. If it isn't then fine I won't touch it but don't be so quick to assume that I'm a plant thief because that is soooo far from my character. Now that you all have made it so critically apparent that it isn't a good thing to do, then Thank You, I won't do it....

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

After the new growth firms later in summer or fall ask new occupants for cuttings. Meanwhile you can read up on growing rhododendrons and azaleas from cuttings, put together your propagation setup.

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

word *lol*

few people on a public forum would feel comfortable saying it would be o.k. to help yourself in this case = gives the appearance of encouraging unsavory activities.

since you have asked publicly and been properly reprimanded, you will have to wait for the new owners permission to get your cutting or until they plan to tear down that house and build a shopping center, thereby performing a plant rescue and garnering high-praise responses from azalea enthusiasts! *jk*

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jeff, I would hardly call that a "proper reprimand" since I was misunderstood in the first place. I was NOT asking "Do you think I should steal the plant or not", what I WAS asking is "Is this an ok thing to do or not", because I DID NOT KNOW. Me thinking that the rest of these people just MAY have a sense of humor since we all share the same passion, decided to throw in the funny banter about being there first thing in the morning with my gardening shears. Had I known I was throwing myself to a group of unwelcoming sharks I would never have posted the question in the first place. That's what people do when they don't know they ask.
    Now, as far as the comments I just call it people being presumptuous about my character and intentions and running with it....hardly proper....and you know what I'm sorry this whole thing even happened so just forget about it. As I stated earlier I'm not going to touch the plant so there.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Taking without asking the owner is stealing in most every culture and country in the world.

Asking members of a garden group is impertinent.

You aren't even permitted to walk on other peoples property without permission. That is called trespassing.

Since you made it profoundly clear that the house is empty, it is profoundly clear that there is no legitimate reason to be on the property.

If they ever put up a real estate sign, you could ask the realtor for permission since they are usually granted permission to manage the property in the absence of the owner.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. Just trying to answer your question. Don't ask a question if you don't want the answer. And when you are told it is wrong and say, "but" I don't like that answer, you obviously don't understand why it is wrong. People are just trying to answer your question about the difference between right and wrong, not say you are a bad person. Right?

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Etiquette For Invited Visitors

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rhodyman, NOT right, because people aren't just saying "No, I don't think it's right", which if they had just said that then I'd understand completely and I still do understand now that everyone has made it painstakingly clear why it's wrong. However, they're saying "NO, it's wrong and you should be ashamed to even think such, and how would you feel...blah, blah, blah". That's the part I'm having a problem with. And what is so impertinent about me asking gardeners a gardening question? I'm sure I'm not the first one to ever wonder if such was an appropriate thing to do or not. I mean what is the big idea about me asking this question?! I DO know about Garden Etiquette thank you very much, it just so happens that I've never heard anything about this particular scenario. As a matter of fact, the only thing "impertinent" about this whole situation is having a bunch "garden do-gooders" jump down my throat because of a simple question. Now let me make this profoundly clear: It's not the answer to the question that has me upset, it's the manner in which it has been answered, with total disdain and condemnation.

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

I am going to stay away from the discussion and provide some interesting reading material on the link below, Kitha1215. It deals with azalea propagation, something that you have never done before. Books on azaleas at book stores and/or libraries can help you learn even more too. Afterwards, you can come back to the forum and do searches on keywords that could bring up posts with additional interesting information. Things like potting mix mixtures, etc.

Have a great Easter! Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Azalea Propagation by Azalea Society Of America

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

God Bless YOU, Louis....

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

Kathi, you wrote:

"Now let me make this profoundly clear: It's not the answer to the question that has me upset, it's the manner in which it has been answered, with total disdain and condemnation."

They why when you saw the answer wrote:

"But they moved waaaay out of town and aren't ever coming back.....I'll never see these people again."

This response is the problem. This expresses an attitude, not a question.

• mikeybob
    16 years ago

You can also grow azaleas from seed. It only takes a few years for them to grow enough to flower. Every seedling will be different ... and that's what makes it fun!

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It was me TRYING to be a little humorous about it, but I guess you don't know how to "lighten up"....didn't know I would have had to be a professional comedian for someone like you....

• pamelaq_2007
    16 years ago

Hi Kitha,
    If you would like some azalea cuttings, I have lots I can share with you. I just went around my house taking pictures of all the bushes in bloom and there location. I need to figure out what many of them are. We just bought this house a couple of years ago, and I think the previous owner was collecting them. There are 25 bushes blooming with some duplicate bushes. There is one 30' long row with part taller than me that has beautiful purple blooms. Anyway if you want to try some cuttings, let me know.
    Pam

• robcorreia
    16 years ago

Let me just tell you a personal story and you can take your own conclusions.
    Beautiful HUGE Camellia tree on empty neighbor's house. I take it upon myself to water the plant daily; it's so gorgeous and right next to me, right.
    One day my landlord sees me and says "that's not yours, this is wrong!"
    I stopped taking care of this plant. The plant DIED.
    The end...

• kitha1215
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, "Rob", I'm sorry that had to happen. ~Sigh~ It's always sad when a plant dies. :(

Pamela, I would like to thank you for your generous offer. However, I will pass but I am utterly grateful that you would go out of your way like that. Thank You! : )

• robcorreia
    16 years ago

Yes, it was very sad indeed. Had it been MY plant, I would really have appreciated someone whose love for plants surpassed overly strict "propriety"! I would have said: hey, thank you so much for caring! By the way, glad you took a little cutting for yourself! (which I didn't have the skills to do at the time)... ; )

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County