Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Falling ice damage

Posted by CConverse NY (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 20:28

Hi! I'm in upstate NY and I just moved to a home with some gorgeous rhododendrons in the front last summer. Over the winter however, they suffered some ice damage - not from cold temps, but from ice dams falling off of our roof. With over 173 inches of snow, and no thaws during the winter like we typically get, some huge ice dams formed on our roof, and fell on my plants. They seem to still have a couple live branches but they are looking pretty sad and leggy. Can they be saved, and if so, is there some way to prune them so that they will fill back in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Falling ice damage

Prune away the dead branches and wait and see what foliage buds open. You can nurse them back to health. You will be pruning to shape them once you see which branches are alive and where new branches form. By next fall you will have a good idea of what you are working with.

You will probably want to move them or make roof-like structures to deflect the falling ice.

o
RE: Falling ice damage

I had a similar problem myself. With all the snow this past winter, my husband had to get up on our roof and remove some of the snow and ended up throwing the snow and ice right on my Rhodys, so I have about 3 that are looking pretty bad. Two of them are the smaller, thinner rhodys, which appear a lot more fragile. I will wait to see what lives and what doesn't and take it from there.

It's pretty sad when you work so hard to keep your shrubs nice and things like this happen.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here