Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

What To Do With These Azaelas ?

We moved into a house last year that is 15 years old. The former owners didn't take thoughtful care of their house or yard, and we are doing heavy renovations throughout. Although I have a good sense of direction and "vision" about most of what I want to do, I am having an inner struggle about the row of azaelas across the front of the house.

The Situation:

In the front of the house there is a row of 7 or 8 azaelas planted very closely together (like 2 ft apart). They are very tightly grown into each other, and are sheared to about 2 ft high, in a roundish shape. They are squeezed between a walkway (which is in front of them), and a hedge of yews behind them. So, a yew hedge, with an azaela hedge in front of it, and a sidewalk in front of that. All very tight and close together.

I hate seeing the azaela's there, because I feel so sorry for them... their artificial, shorn, tight, "hedgey" shape; and their being squeezed into such a small area. Also, they face full west --- very hot sun that is intensified by the reflection off the front of the house (which is right behind the yew hedge).

My Dilemma - What to do with them??

The conditions they are growing in is so inappropriate for them, but I can't see how I can transplant them because of how intertwined they are - roots below, and branches above. I think it'd kill them to try; and then I'd be killing them in the name of "helping them". (??!!) I can let them grow a little "freer" than the artificial shape they are in, but not much more --- their simply isn't the space (sidewalk in front, yews behind).

I have a lovely, tall tree canopy shade in my back yard --- if I could get them back there, they'd be so happy!

I did try last fall to try to take out every other one and let the rest grow freer, but again --- they were too intertwined to do that (well, it seemed like they were --- I couldn't separate branches or roots from their intergrowth).

They will be blooming in another month or so, and after that I am going to do whatever I decide to do.

What can I do?

~ Try to move them, and see if they die or not?

~ Just rip them out, assuming they wouldn't live through the trauma of transplanting?

~ Leave them - even tho they are in a torturous spot for them (after all they've been there all along already). They are pretty healthy looking, despite their artificial shape and difficult situation.

Any other ideas??? I welcome all your thoughts.

Miss Mary

Zone 7

Comments (6)

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PS.
    Besides the particulars of my azaela situation, I simply have a gut level GUILT I'm dealing with. As I stated above, the plants are unsuited to the growing conditions they are in, but I just feel so crummy (Guilty!) about doing anything that will likely risk killing them. It's hard to explain.... it feels like I'm like, betraying them, or something.... killing a living thing.

But, at the same time -- I believe they are growing in almost torturous (for an azaela) conditions.

What sayeth you on this?

Miss Mary

• pamelaq_2007
    16 years ago

Miss Mary,

I know what you mean about feeling guilty if you do something to them and they die. I have had same type feelings about my plants. I won't even fish because I worry about hurting the stupid worm. I'm hopeless.
    That being said, it sounds like the azaelas met the same fate as many in our area. 20 years ago, I watched several people plant 'those cute little azaelas in lovely arrangements. Time went on, they moved away, events happened, the azaelas were ignored and did what azaelas around here do best. They got HUGE! Now many are ripping them out and starting over. You could probably try and save them. They are pretty hardy little guys. Using a pair of large loppers, seperate the roots the best you can, then replant them. Remove some top growth to compensate for the root pruning. Keep watered for a while and I think they will be alright. It may take time, but you will have given them a chance. Otherwise, go with your other options.

• rhodyman
    16 years ago

What you need to do is root prune them now. This means cutting down with a shovel between the plants to a depth that will cut most of the roots the spread into the neighboring plant. This usually only has to be down about 8 to 10" since they have shallow roots. This will make the root adapt to the smaller space they must occupy. Also root prune in a circle on all sides. This will make the root adapt to the smaller space that you can safely move.

Then, wait several months and when they are dormant, fall through early spring, you can move them safely. Fall planting is normally best, but you need to mulch good to prevent frost heaving. Early spring planting is OK but you must watch them closely to make sure they don't dry out.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    16 years ago

Missmary, you can selectively remove or cut back some of those sheared branches too, begin to release them from that formal shape (and each other). Azaleas have dormant buds all along their stems just under the bark and should sprout from just below any cut you make - if you'd like to enjoy this years flowers, wait until immediately after they bloom.

At two feet apart with the shovel/root pruning described above you may be able to transplant and save them all. If somehow you are finding it difficult to circle each plant with a shovel, there is always the possibility of sacrificing a couple to keep those you like best.

And don't feel in the least bit guilty. You are the one putting the time and effort into your garden and house and of course you want it to be a reflection of your taste and style. If you can't use them all and have leftovers that look salvageable, put them in a box, prominent place in front on a Saturday morning, 'Free' sign....chances are someone will want it/them.

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

I had the same situation when I bought my house and the first summer we had a lot of rain so I transplant them to around the yard and they have flourished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• missmary - 6b/Central Maryland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THANKS, ALL!
    All comments have been so very helpful -- both psychologically (my guilt) and horticulturally (my azaleas). I will do the root and branch pruning, and take it from there. The area where I intend to move them isn't ready for new plants yet, so it will probably work out well to prune them back now, keep them watered through the summer, and move them in the fall - to their nice new home where they should flourish so beautifully!
    I think I can do this!
    THANKS AGAIN.
    Miss Mary

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz