Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it too late to move small non blooming azalea's

Posted by blessedmotheroffour 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 20:56

I have two small non blooming azalea's that are not in the right place. Is it too late to move them and if so where? Do they like full sun or partial sun? Thanks for your help. Cj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it too late to move small non blooming azalea's

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 9, 06 at 23:08

I don't see which zone 8 you are in...here in coastal washington they will usually adapt to what amounts to full sun (although the flowers tend to fade in full sun), most places protection from mid-day/strongest sun is best.

You can move them any time they are not in active growth including while blooming or the ground is not frozen. The period of active growth is immediately following bloom when the foliage buds are opening.

o

Azaleas can be transplanted any time. However when they are blooming or actively growing, care must be take not to disturb the roots and to give water but not drown.

Because the roots grow near the surface, a bed prepared especially for rhododendrons and azaleas need not be more than 12 inches deep; deep planting or too much mulch in the growing season keeps the roots from getting the air they need. In fact, it is a good idea to set rhododendrons about 1 inch higher than they grew at the nursery. Azalea plants may be transplanted in blossom but it is better to transplant them early in spring before they bloom.

Make sure that the plant is getting wet. Rhododendron guru Harold Greer noted: "Quite often a plant will get completely dry and then no matter how much water you apply, the rootball will just keep shedding it. The top of the soil may seem wet, and the soil around the plant may even be very wet, but the actual rootball of the plant is bone dry. This is the major reason for failure, or at least less than great success when moving a plant. It is hard to believe that a plant can be within mere inches of a sprinkler that has been running for hours and still be dry, yet it can be SO TRUE!"

o

Hi thanks for the two replies. I am in Houston I have one happy azalea but the other two look like it is still winter. They are bare as can be. They look so sad. I am going to move them this Sunday. Cj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here