Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to fertilize.

Posted by matthew18 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 21:38

I have about half dozen rhodo's. I have never done anything to them in terms of fertilizing. They are acid living plants...right? I have some espoma acid loving fertilizer. Should I dump a cup on each of them. What about compost or horse manure? Should I put all three of them on the plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to fertilize.

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 23:03

My shrub and perennial beds are top dressed with compost or well composted manure every Spring, sometimes reapplied in Fall. I've never seen symptoms on my rhododendrons that they needed additional fertilizer - are yours doing something that makes you think they need it?

In any case, Espoma products are good but it's early for fertilizer in a Z5, wait until closer to bloom time in your area.

o

I've used Espoma's Holly Tone fertilizer for more than 25 years with great satisfaction. Follow the label directions or a bit less for the amount to use and gently scratch it in to the surface.

Rhododendrons do not demand a high degree of fertility, but the addition of a complete fertilizer along with proper mulching and watering will result in healthier better blooming plants.

Compost may be OK, but avoid manures - they are high in nitrogen and may burn foliage and will promote vegetative growth at the expense of blooms.

o

I think Espoma recommends fertilizing twice in a season. Only use it once and then at half the rate on the package. It is good stuff, but more is not better.

Steve Henning

o

thanks guy, I reserve the compost for my veges. I have the holly tone. I will follow the directions on that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here