Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Azalea

Posted by nova62 Indiana zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 21:47

I have a small flower shop pink azalea. I kept it outdoors in the shade the first year (in a pot). I brought it inside in a mid-sunny window. It bloomed in Feb. Now it has lost the blooms. Here in Indiana it will soon be time to take it back outdoors. Will it bloom again ?, should I trim, prune or do anything to it? It has to be a potted plant here I have been told.
Thanks alot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Azalea

What, if any, azalea will grow in Indiana, outside?

again, thanks

o

They typically just bloom once a year, but when treated like you treat it, it could surprise you and bloom again. Alway prune just after it finishes blooming, because the new growth will start forming new flower buds in a month or two. It is more apt to bloom again after it goes through a cool spell. Some florist azaleas can be easily tricked into blooming twice a year, so good luck.

o

hi, i also live in zone5 in in. yes there are many hardy azaleas that do well in z5. they are the native ones. they are decidous ,they bloom later that the exbury and norther lights they have a much better fragrance. the foilage color in fall is beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here