Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
csthacker

Rhody Blooms in late FALL!

csthacker
13 years ago

Two years ago I planted a rhododendron in the spring. It only had a few blooms, but I didn't worry because of transplant shock. I was curious when it bloomed again in early October, but thought it was still just confused by being newly planted. Last summer, it did not bloom in the spring and then it put out a few blooms in late September. Any ideas why this spring bloomer is confused? Suggestions? It has the right light conditions and acidic soil?

Comment (1)

• rhodyman
    13 years ago

When they get tricked into blooming in the fall, those buds that are opening or partially opening are the ones that were to open in the following spring. So once they open or partially open, they are done and you get no spring bloom.

Some causes of fall blooming include a dry summer and moist fall and/or warmer climates including a warm fall. For some reason, fall blooming is more common in Georgia according to Dr. Sandra McDonald. Plants which are not sufficiently hardened off or are exposed to unseasonable warm spells can start bloom prematurely. These blooms are seldom satisfactory and many times get frozen before opening fully. In any case, the seasonal bloom is lost. Avoid application of nitrogen after late spring, but phosphorus and potassium may be applied during the growing season. Application of nitrogen too late in the season can hinder hardening off in the fall.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals