Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhododendron nebie needs information

Posted by juantia tennessee (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 21:56

I moved in with my father(90)in middle Tennessee and he has what I think is a rhododendron that looks much like he does.(ha ha) It looks rather sad with new growth on the top(on old cane) and new shoots from the bottom. When it blooms it is a show stopper. I would like to take some cuttings so I can have a few more plants and then trim it up. It should start blooming soon,it has buds as big as a golf balls. (Just so you know my peonies are knee high.) Could someone tell me how to start plants and trim this so it will bloom next year? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhododendron nebie needs information

Rhododendron propagation and pruning are both covered on my website:

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow rhododendrons and azaleas.

o

WOW

thanks a bunch.

o

I would like to prune my Azaleas down about 12-15 inches. I live in the Washington DC area and my plants have just started flowering. What is the best time to prune them down so they will shoot and flower come spring 2009? Should I prune them down immediately after this current round of flowering or wait till late spring or early summer?

o

Prune soon after they finish blooming. They form next years flower buds during the summer, so pruning later will remove next years bloom.

A side effect is that pruning after they bloom removes the dead flower material. That can help prevent petal blight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here