Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help with speckled leaves on Azalea

Posted by btalarczyk 5b-6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 22:22

Can anyone help diagnose what is going on with the leaves of this Azalea? Plant has always been small. Planted in heavy shade area but does get direct sunlight for about 2 hours from 8:00 am - 10:00 am. After that it is in heavy shade (sun blocked on all sides by houses. Soil is well draining and very organic.

The speckles have been on all the leaves all last year and now that the snow has melted, I see they are still there. Pictures are from last summer.

IMG 1934

IMG 1935

IMG 1936

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help with speckled leaves on Azalea

Where do you live?

Do you have azalea lace bugs in your area? (Frankly, look too healthy for that.)

If your azaleas have leaves right now, post an image of the undersides.

o

Hard to tell for sure from the photos, but this is very likely lacebug damage. A photo of the leaf undersides would be helpful as jean001a indicated. Even without a photo, if you see brown, somewhat shiny markings - excrement from lacebug nymphs - on the leaf under surfaces, that would confirm the diagnosis. The damaged leaves will not recover, but you need to protect the new leaves this year. See what is recommended in your area and time spraying according to schedules advocated by your state ag department or county extension service.

o

I think there's very little doubt that lacebugs are the culprit. Though calling your local extension office is sound advice, I will tell you that I have had very good luck with horticultural oil applications to the underside of the new growth.

o

I think all of you are right. It appears to be lace bugs. My camera would zoom in clear enough to get good pictures of the underside of the leaves but there is a lot of the brown marks as mentioned in one of the responses.

Here is a picture of what is left of the azalea this spring. Not much there! I'm going to try my best to bring it back!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here