Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions, please

Posted by texas_jennifer TX (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 07 at 23:33

We have a large red tip photenia (Not sure how you spell it) in our back yard by our bedroom window and our bathroom window. It totally blocks any light there. It is several feet taller than our 1 story house and quite healthy.
Now my question...might it be possible to move it instead of just cutting it down? It would be great in another area of our yard...
I just hate to kill it if it's at all possible to save it.
TIA-
Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions, please

Red Tip Photinia is not related to rhododendrons or azaleas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Tip Photinia

o

OOps! Sorry, I thought that they were...

o

Photinia is in the rose family and more closely related to English or cherry laurels. A mature plant will develop a very large and expansive root system, quite unlike that formed by rhodies and azaleas. They can be moved but it's going to take a lot of work and may not be worth the effort. Moving a large, established shrub now as it is entering spring growth is going to put a lot of stress on the plant that will certainly be compounded by Texas's hot and dry weather. If it hasn't already, it could very easily become infected with Photinia leaf spot from the added stress. This is a serious problem with photinias in many parts of the country, to the extent that many nurseries have stopped promoting their planting and have discontinued selling them. Fall would have been a preferrable time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here