Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_q

Azalea newbie

cindy_q
18 years ago

I have this monstrous tree in my itty bitty front yard that makes grass growing hard. So far its been virtually impossible for us to keep it green within a 3 foot radius around this tree. So we've been trying to think of alternatives to grass. Just recently we've started thinking about planting azaleas around it but don't know if azaleas could survive beneath this tree. I do know that liriope does fine beneath it but I hate liriope and have been trying my darndest to eradicate the liriope the former owners planted there. Besides disliking the liriope it doesn't cover the area that stays brown, its just not big enough to serve a purpose. It does get some sun so I don't know if the problem is that or if the tree sucks up all the nutrients in the soil, either way I appreciate any advice or input.

Comments (3)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

The area under your tree could be compacted and might benefit from some extra water and top dressing with compost...

As to whether azalea would grow there could depend on what type tree. Dappled shade with some sun striking the plant at different parts of the day is OK (for the most part, azaleas are woodland natives); planting these surface rooters under a tree that also has a surface rooting habit is not.

Mature oaks, most pine is fine, also deciduous magnolia, dogwood, silver bell, sour gum, others.

Not good - ash, beech, elm, some maples, poplar, pin oak, sycamore, black walnut. Birch are both surface rooted and aphids magnets - the aphids secret honeydew that is troublesome when falling on rhododendron and azaleas.

• cindy_q
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I do not know what type of tree this is but you're right the ground in that area is compacted. It wasn't after we moved here because we did a major landscaping overhaul and tilled up the entire yard but over time its grown compacted again. I do know however that it is not a surface rooter or I think so because none of the roots are visible. I wish I knew what type of tree it is. It is evergreen but the branches start high up enough for sunlight to get in from the sides since there are no other trees around and the canopy isn't that dense, so dappled sunlight does get in. I guess my concern is maybe its not the sunlight I need to worry about but the tree itself? It seems to be taking all the nutrients from the grass and doesn't let it grow, so I worry that maybe an azalea wouldn't survive there either...

• luis_pr
    18 years ago

I wonder if your problem is lack of sufficient sunlight due to the tree foliage. Most grasses need around 6 hours or more of sun to grow well in a spot. Since you do get some sunlight, azaleas may be able to grow there provided all their other requirements are met (dappled sun, moist acid soil, the "right" USDA Zone Climate for your variety and 2-3 inches of mulch).

I suggest you try with one plant now and evaluate how well it does by the Fall or by Spring 2007. If you decide against growing azaleas under the canopy of the tree, then consider some bulbs (daffodils, etc), hostas, ferns (autumn, royal, etc) or ground covers that appreciate some shade - Asian jasmine, English ivy, Persian ivy, liriope, ophiopogon, horseherb, etc. And do not forget that just plain mulch is OK too; the trees love it!

Good luck, Luis

Sponsored