Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help of Magnolias planted with Rhododendrons

Posted by jck3010 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 07 at 6:51

Hi I have 4 rhododendrons planted in my back garden across probably about 25 foot, this part of the garden has bark on it and a rockery around it so has mainly been for flowers, the rhododendrons were already there when I moved in 6 years ago and are very established also there is 2 rose bushes, I planted 6 years ago a Magnolia which was in bloom when I bought it but has never flowered in 6 years, the leaves come out every year, not sure if it is growing in height though, I don't know if they grow quickly or slowly over a longer time. Any help very much appreciated. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help of Magnolias planted with Rhododendrons

Hello, jck3010. Magnolias are large trees that develop deep roots in fertile, well-drained soil whose Ph ranges from 4.5 to 7. They tolerate lots of shade but, as they grow older, they need more sun light. Since they use up a lot of the nutrients in the soil, try to add some soil ammenments to fertilize and lower the Ph (if it has become very alkaline... much higher than a Ph Level of 7). Be careful not to hit tree roots when digging and doing gardening projects as roots can extend beyond the drip line. Be careful not to overwater.

Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Azalea & Rhododendron Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here